Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iron supplementation ?

Question Iron supplementation ?

Any good advice on the introduction or use of iron supplements for a 34 week 2200 (now 3100 gm)preemie, now 5 weeks old, exclusively breastfed?
    I find lots of opinions and few facts to support or refute its use....
    I know the old advice was all exclusively breasfed infants should start iron rich diets or supplements at 6 months, but what about preemies?

Default Re: Iron supplementation ?

First off, CONGRATULATIONS!!!! on becoming a mom and for exclusively nursing your LO!!!

Our 34-weeker was sent home from the NICU with the dr recommending polyvisol with iron daily. As we planned on me going back to work (which I did a total of 4 months before quitting), he got 1 bottle daily of EBM with the vitamins in it (Dr. Brown's bottles).

We stopped them at the suggestion of his pediatrician sometime after 6 months becuase he was eating solids by that time.

The recommendations for iron supplementation are different for a premature baby than they are a full term baby. A premature baby didn't have as long to build up his fetal stores, and therefore, doctors often do recommend supplementation. Some doctors do allow for testing of levels prior to supplementation. Talk to your doctor! Here's a helpful resource:
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/iron.html

Wink Re: Iron supplementation ?

thanks. I re-asked a slightly different question above: memory not so good these days!

Question Re: Iron supplementation ?

any recmmended brands of iron? the comon ones have too much unneccesary stuff

Question Re: Iron supplementation ?

No one else care to comment: i see 144 views? are all of the other moms with preemie infants giving their loved ones iron supplements per the doctors orders?
    I would love to do a poll?

I would love to hear as well. We gave DS (28 wkr) iron supplements when we came home last Sept (only gave for a few weeks), still has low hemo. So I would like to know too what works. I take Floradix but is that safe for 10 month old (7.5 adj)...i kind of doubt it.

Well this is a preemie forum so All the moms here must have some experience with this as national guidelines suggest ALL preemies be on iron, breastfed or if only formula a high iron verison...so i am puzzled by the silence?Is it possible tht many moms here chose to disregard the advice of their doctors and do what they thought was right?

I just did what the Ped told me to do. Now that we are low again, he ordered a CBC. We will see what that comes back with, and what the doc has to say about fixing it. We are just starting solids, but those already constipate him. So I have concerns about any extra iron, when his #s arent all that low. And yes...sometimes we do disregard the advice of doctors. Sometimes we have to go with that maternal instinct and new reasearch, rather than some old traditional or formula company advice.

If you are doing solids I've heard watermelon has lots of iron. We tried giving my son some tonight and it's one of the only foods he really seemed to like so far!

If I were you I would have a blood test for iron and if it is low, go with what your doctor is saying. We didn't use any vitamins but my son was full-term. So he had those extra key weeks to build up the iron stores.

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807