Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Only wants one breast for a few minutes

Default Only wants one breast for a few minutes

I've read alot of the threads, but I can't seem to find it anyplace...

My LO is 6 weeks today. I have been feeding on demand since his 2 week check-up and we have been doing really well. I am over the initial pain and was just starting to enjoy the whole experience when it seems like a bodysnatcher came and took my sweet nurser away! LOL!

Joey was managing to eat about every 2-3 hrs during the day with a long 5-6 hr stretch at night, until a few days ago. He has always been a gassy one, needing many burps per feeding, but before, I would break him off the nipple, burp him and he would go back on. Now, it seems like the first 5 mins are fast, then he breaks away, lets out a healthy burp, then wants nothing to do with continuing to feed. I coax him and manage about 10-15 mins on the first breast and he completely refuses the second, or just lays with his mouth on my nipple, but not sucking.

Is it typical for a LO to shorten his feeding times from 15 mins on each side to 10-15 mins total and only wanting one side? Is this the famous 6-wk growth spurt? I still feed him when he cries for food, sometimes it's 3 hrs, sometimes 90 mins, and that is fine, but I have to say that it is a pain to pump one breast evey feeding, to avoid being uncomfortable. I'm curious what this will do to my supply if I stop pumping on the uneaten breast and wait till the next feeding (4 hrs later).

Any words of wisdom?

Default Re: Only wants one breast for a few minutes

I have no idea about your milk supply. It would stand to reason that your milk supply may decrease if you don't pump or keep it up. I'm not sure though.

Maybe your LO is becoming an efficient nurser and doesn't need to be on that long to get full.

Hi, that sort of happened to me when my DS was around 6 wks as well. I think the body gets more efficient at producing milk, and LO gets more efficient at feeding too. My DS' feeds shortened overnight from 30 mins to 10 mins.

Don't think it's a cause for concern so long as LO seems content and happy. I think the supply will work itself out to a level that your DS needs so I personally think there's no need to pump unless it gets unbearable, or if you want to build up stores. (but i'm not expert, hope one will chime in soon)

My son has never taken both breasts at one time and he usually only nurses about 5 minutes on average. My son is a healthy 15 pounds at 3 months of age.

I asked the doc about it and she said as long as I was feeding on demand and that he was gaining weight, not to worry.

Your body will adjust accordingly so I wouldn't worry about your supply diminishing. I always pumped once in the morning to build up a stash for going back to work, but I never had any problems with supply issues.

Good luck.

If you are really uncomfortable on the side he doesn't nurse on, pump just enough to make yourself feel better, but not until it's empty. If you pump a bunch, your body will continue to make that much. If you just make yourself feel better, your body will start producing less to keep up with your lo. Lots of moms feed on just one side most of the time. Nursing patterns change periodically as they get older.