Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please help--concerned mom (teething and supply questions)

Default Re: Please help--concerned mom (teething and supply questions)

Hiya,
    I looked on Thomas Hale's site. He doesn't have info about that med, but he did respond to questions about a couple of other rectal creams, including some steroidal ones. He says steroids don't pass into milk well, and he said a similar med shouldn't be any problem.
    How about fenugreek? When I was nursing my 1st child, I worked outside the home for 3 days each week. I noticed that I pumped less Wed than I did Tues and less Thurs than Wed. So, I began taking fenugreek, and that seemed to help things stabilize.
    Your milk production should respond to demand. Can you take a "babymoon," with baby in bed for a day? Or add a pumping session or two to your weekends? (Right after the morning feed seems to be a good time for me to get some.)
    I agree w/the comment about co-sleeping, too. That can help, if you can do it.
    When are your business trips? Will your child be starting solids by then? If so, maybe your stash will be enough.
    Best wishes to you and baby!

Quote Originally Posted by amandalynn
    I don't know about that particular drug, but I got into a car accident and was prescribed a steriod for muscle spasms/pain. They dr & pharamacist said it wouldn't hurt the baby but while I was taking it I had supply problems, once I stopped everything seemed to go back to normal so I got them to prescribe a non-steriod. I'm no expert about it or anything but after hearing about your problems it would lead me to think that there may be a link between decreased supply and steriods. I know that your milk production is linked to hormones also and that steriods sometimes can have an effect there. Maybe that has something to do with it?
    You know--I started taking these about 6 weeks ago, took them for 2 weeks, then just recently had to go back on them (its really been a pain!!!!). I had supply pbs then, but we were moving and I thought it was the stress of that. I wonder if it is linked. I will call doc and see if there is something else. Thing is, dd seems to be getting enough, she seems totally satisfied, but as I said in the first post, she is teething and her appetite may be down from that. Who knows. They never said it would be easy, did they?

I haven't been very successful cosleeping. I seem to get less sleep that way (I know everyone claims its the way to go, but I always stir everytime she does and she is a loud sleeper). I have done it while traveling but I still have to sit up to feed her (can't quite get the side lying latch to be comfortable for me, maybe I am doing something wrong?). Its okay though b/c before teething she was only getting up 1-2 times per night (now more like 4 or 5).

Thanks for the thoughts everyone!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Hi Erin,
    You wrote:
    I haven't been very successful cosleeping. I seem to get less sleep that way (I know everyone claims its the way to go, but I always stir everytime she does and she is a loud sleeper). I have done it while traveling but I still have to sit up to feed her (can't quite get the side lying latch to be comfortable for me, maybe I am doing something wrong?).

Co-sleeping is just one option that works for some mothers. It doesn't work for everyone.

Nursing while lying down can take some practice to feel comfortable. I think the key in the beginning is support for you and baby. Try placing some pillows to go behind your back and behind your baby, too. You still want to aim for that tummy-to-tummy position. You may have your arm under baby or not. Some mothers put a pillow between their knees. If you keep working at it, you may find a solution that works for you. It's not too late.

Mary

I think my 3.4 mo ds is teeting also. He has been drooling like you would not believe and i have to change him in the middle of the day because his shirt and bib would be wet. He has been couging alot and sometimes he gags on his own saliva. He almost SPITS out his saliva. He has been extremely fussy in the middle of the day and sometimes all day. The other day he would not take a bottle of EBM from dh. He went 5 hours without eating b/c he would not drink for the bottle (very unusal for him). Recently he has been fussing at the breast, coming on and off. He has been waking up more frequently at night to nurse, but my supply has dropped in the last couple of days (which I am stressing about all the time). He is not nursing as long as he used to. We do co-sleeping atleast 4-5 times during the week. He has been sneezing alot today.
    On top of that he has had bad gas. I must have eaten something that I was not suppose to because I found a small amount of blood in his stool this am. It is so frustrating. As soon as I get my supply back up, something happens and it drops again. I feel like I am terrible at this. For something that is so natural, why does it have to be some complicated?
    Can anyone suggest ways to help keep my supply up during this teeting experience? I work 30 hours a week. He gets 1-2 bottles of EBM a day during the week. We nurse all weekend long. I pump while away, but for the last 1.5 month I don't pump more than 2.5-3 oz a session, I used to be able to pump atleast 4 oz. (I have been having a supply issue since he was about 2 months, either I have an over abundant amount, or I have a decreased amount). But now that he is so clingy and fussy, I have a hard time pumping after he eats. I really want to pump on those feedings where he does not nurse for his normal 30-40 min.
    ds at last weight check was 10 lb 2 oz his birth weight was 7 lb 7 oz, when we left the hospital he was 6 lb 3 oz. Between his 2nd and 3rd month weight checks he had not gained any weight because he was only getting mostly foremilk and middle milk, not enough hindmilk. Which was fixed once I started bf on one side.
    Sorry for this being so long, but I am concerned and stressed about my supply issue, especially during this teeting time.
    Thanks for any help!!!

Question Re: Please help--concerned mom (teething and supply questions)

I know this was two weeks ago for you, but it's where I am now! My DD won't nurse...plus she is nibblingon my nipples instead of sucking and she prefers the bottle! The only time she will nurse is during the night! I just wondered how things are going for you now...have your problems gotten better?