Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help--concerned mom (teething and supply questions)

Default Please help--concerned mom (teething and supply questions)

I have two questions--one is a little off topic. First...

I am still bf my 3.5 mo dd. I have been pumping 2x at work for 2.5 months. I feed her at noon so she gets two bottles--1 in the am and 1 in the pm. I used to get 3 oz out of my right and 2 out of my left. I went on a backcountry snowmobile ride 2 weeks ago and forgot batteries for my pump. I was gone for total of 2 feeding and I hand expressed once while we were gone. The next day at work my pumping session supply was way down-- barely 1 oz from each breast. I didn't really worry cuz I figured it would pick back up, but it hasn't and I think its weird that my right breast is not producing only as much as my left when all along it has been significantly more. I started pumping on the opposite side that she eats on every morning trying to increase my supply, but when I used to do that (when I was building a freezer supply) first thing in the morning I would get like 4 oz, now I only get 1.5. She eats 3 oz at every bottle feeding, so I am not able to keep up with her. I never worried about this before because it always picked back up in a couple days, but this time seems different. I know that dd is more efficient than pump so I know that on the weekends she is getting enough. And right now I am able to supplement with freezer supply, but I need to keep a freezer supply for the business trips I have planned. I use an ameday py, and it was brand new with this baby. Please help!

Also--dd seems to have cut a molar already. And she hasn't cut any other teeth. Is this totally weird or what? Are there any other moms out there that this has happened to? What age do they usually cut molars? Just wondering. She seems to have dropped how long she feeds a bit, and really only had really wet diapers at night. The rest of the day they are wet but not really really wet.

Sorry about the rambling, but needed to get this out. Sometimes it helps just to talk/type about stuff, kwim?

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Default Re: Please help--concerned mom (teething and supply questions)

One other thing--I used to get that much in about 5 minutes. Now, I pump for 15 and only get 2 oz total. And I was waiting for the second letdown and getting another oz but now I wait and wait and wait and no second letdown.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)

I thought of a couple other things--sorry to make this so long.

I drink a ton of water. Also--I found out I have hemorrhoids and the doctor prescribed some proctozone. I called the ped. to find out if okay while breastfeeding and there is really little info--but didn't think it would be harmful to baby. I have been taking for a few days. Could that affect supply? Also...does anyone know anythiing more about this drug and BFing?

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly

Hey, don't know much about that medication so I can't be much help there but anything is possible. As far as the difference in sides that is way normal. My left breast produces twice as much in the same amount of time as my right breast. DS always prefers to eat on the left side too, although I have been working on getting him to take the right for longer amounts of time. How is your stress level right now? I know that when I was working and pumping, even if I was just stressed about pumping my supply would drop a bit. HAve you tried the nursing teas? A cup before each pumping session helped me a lot. You may also want to try increasing your nursing sessions during the weekend to help your supply increase since it is based on demand. I'm hoping that one of the LLL moderators will step in here too to give some advice because they are really good. But what I am trying to say is don't give up.

Oh, do you cosleep? That and baby wearing (in a sling etc) when you are home will help increase supply.

What I am really concerned about is that my right used to produce more than my left but its not anymore. And what nursing teas? I guess I haven't tried any of those--they are totally safe though? I guess my stress level is moderate right now--we just moved and the time change and then my husband switched from swing shift to days....just getting readjusted. And I am super stressed about the supply, but how do I stop thinking about it? Arghh-its supposed to be natural, right? Why does it sometimes seem so hard then? Thanks for listening!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly

LOL, that was always my battle. the stress of supply was actually decreasing my supply. the tea is perfectly safe, when i was working i drank 4-5 cups per day, now that i am home i drink about 2 cups per day mainly because i like the taste. i use Traditional Medicinals (brand) Organic Mother's Milk Tea. It has fennel fruit, aniseed fruit, coriander fruit, fenugreek seed, blessed thistle herb, spearmint leaf, lemongrass leaf, verbena leaf and marshmallow root. The first 5 are to help with milk production, the others are just for flavor. Some people have to drink it with sweetner but I like mine plain. I get it at my regular grocery store, they have small "natural sections" in each isle and this was right next to the regular teas.

keep posting, people are always coming up with other ideas.

Hi epbrown,
    I couldn't find that medication listed in Hale's book, Medications and Mothers' Milk. Does it have another name? Once I find it, we'll be able to see if there's any info that might indicate its effect on your supply.
    Otherwise, you are on the right track with upping the "demand" by adding in nursing or pumping sessions and draining the breast more often. It's the draining of the breast that signals the body to make more.
    Some mothers find herbs or teas to be helpful, but they won't work by themselves. It's the removal of milk that will make the most difference (by either nursing or pumping).
    Hang in there!

Mary

I believe its a sort of steroid that is in a suppository form (like cortizone). I guess I am not all that sure, but the warning label said to consult your doctor if you are breastfeeding because the side effect are largely unknown. I did talk to the dr. and neither my doc or ped thought it would be harmful to baby. Just wondering if maybe it is having an effect on supply. I will look again and see if it has other names.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly

I don't know about that particular drug, but I got into a car accident and was prescribed a steriod for muscle spasms/pain. They dr & pharamacist said it wouldn't hurt the baby but while I was taking it I had supply problems, once I stopped everything seemed to go back to normal so I got them to prescribe a non-steriod. I'm no expert about it or anything but after hearing about your problems it would lead me to think that there may be a link between decreased supply and steriods. I know that your milk production is linked to hormones also and that steriods sometimes can have an effect there. Maybe that has something to do with it?
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)