Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much spit up is normal?

Default How much spit up is normal?

What is considered normal and abnormal as far as the amount of spit up is concerned? My LO has just started spitting up a lot of milk. 1-2 times just after coming off the breast and 1-2 times several minutes to 1/2 hour later. The amount of milk in one spit up "session" is enough to create a wet stain on the nursing pillow that is 3 inches in diameter.
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

Default Re: How much spit up is normal?

that doesn't sound like to much...
    heres a link from kelly moms.
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/reflux.html

Have you noticed your baby pulling off the breast in the middle of nursing or making clicking noises?

That doesn't sound like an excessive amount to me either, if you ever see bile in it or there's lots of projectile spitup you should worry, but otherwise invest in more cloth diapers to mop it up! One of my LO did the projectile thing every few days for the first 6 weeks and that was even normal, kind of a pain b/c I had to refeed her when she spit that much up, but she grew out of it.

The Dr. Sears Baby Book suggests taking a tablespoon of water and spilling it on a towel to see how big the spot is. It looks huge! That gives you an idea of how a little spit up can look like a LOT of spit up! My DD is a constant spitter - especially right after I have showered and put on a clean shirt!

Aiden spits up quite a lot as well, and all the time.

It always concerned me, as it seemed so much. But I spoke to the doctor who reassured me it was fine so long as it was not projectile or green. And then I did that spill a tablespoon of water thing, and realise that he prob is not bringing up as much as it looks.

He used to vomit every evening as well, until we realised that his bouncy chair was making him queasy. So we stopped that and the being sick stopped.

So speak to your doctor, do the spill test, and try to keep your lo still and upright for around 30 mins if possible after each feed.

And just like me, hope they grow out of it sooner rather than later.