Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Clicking sounds

Default Clicking sounds

I am a first time mom of a one month old baby. I am really struggling with overproduction and spit up/stool issues. Lots of green VERY watery poop. Is it normal to have a bowl movement with EVERY feeding...sometimes it even happens while I am feeding.

Why is she making clicking sounds? I read that has to do with over production but don't understand why.

Also, I am trying to work on foremilk/hindmilk inbalance. My baby only eats 10-15 on one side every three hours..,.and is gaining well. DOesn't seem like enought time at the breast...any thing else I can do to increase the hindmilk?

Default Re: Clicking sounds

Hi there If I understand it correctly, if you're suffering from OALD the clicking is the noise from her trying to compensate for the letdown being too strong... kind of like she's using her tongue/mouth to 'control' the flow. Here's a link to other issues that can contribute to the clicking.

The bowel movement with every feeding is within normal range and can/will change over the next few weeks. Here's a little quote from this page found here... it may have helpful info on the stool issue.

The breastfed baby's stools may change in color, and baby may even have an occasional green stool. Consistently green stools, however, may indicate a problem, such as imbalance in foremilk/hindmilk, or sensitivity to something in mom's diet, such as dairy. Green stools do not always indicate a problem.
    I cant speak much to the other issue you mentioned other than it sounds fine if her output is fine. Here's a page to look and see if shes gaining enough.

Have you got a chance to try and contact a LLL leader local to you - or a IBCLC? There are links in my siggy to help you find one - sometimes a phone call to them can help you a bit more with concerns like these

good luck
    Last edited by Number3; May 13th, 2007 at 02:21 AM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Hi!
    If your child's weight gain is good and the diaper out put is Fine then you don't need to work on anything. Your doing fine. Don't create a problem for your self if there isn't one. Your job with food is to provide quality and opportunity. Breastfeeding on demand means just that. On demand. So if your baby is content, so should you be.
    If you are trying to get more hind milk, block feed for longer. As is same breast two times in a row. If your baby is only eating every 3 hours ( And yes 10 to 15 mins can be enough time at the breast) you may need to pump a little on the other side to relieve any engorgement.

The clicking is you baby learning to cope on her own with your OALD. Other things you may see in the coming weeks (besides coughing and sputtering of course ) is your child popping on and off. This is them anticipating a strong let down and trying to get out of the way so as not to get choked but still trying to get the food. The clicking occurs when they are using their tongue to try to block or control the flow of milk out of your nipple. Is cause them to latch lower and it makes that noise. If it's not causing you any pain it's also nothing to worry about. In fact IMO these are ALL great signs. Signs that your child is learning to COPE with your OALD AND that your child's disposition is not that of a high needs baby. Often high needs babies react very negatively to the OALD and cry in frustration and get so upset they can't eat at all. Then their mothers have to find ways to cope with OALD for them. Your baby sounds like she is doing great. She is learning to cope with the abundance of milk, trying to control it on her own, isn't discouraged by it or afraid of it (that's a GREAT sign) and most importantly is GAINING WELL. Plus she's only eating every three hours? You've go it made. Relax. Enjoy this time. In two weeks she will want to eat every hour and a 1/2 to two hours because of her 6 week growth spurt. Your doing fine. HTH

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by Meagan6 View Post
    I am a first time mom of a one month old baby. I am really struggling with overproduction and spit up/stool issues. Lots of green VERY watery poop. Is it normal to have a bowl movement with EVERY feeding...sometimes it even happens while I am feeding.
    Why is she making clicking sounds? I read that has to do with over production but don't understand why.
    Also, I am trying to work on foremilk/hindmilk inbalance. My baby only eats 10-15 on one side every three hours..,.and is gaining well. DOesn't seem like enought time at the breast...any thing else I can do to increase the hindmilk?
    My LO is 8 weeks old and use to have a bowel mobement every feeding for the first month or so. It slows down. Now she will have about 4 bowel movements a day. So ther is hope. I promise. Is the green poop frothy? If it is this is caused from your LO getting more foremilk than hindmilk but it sounds like you already knew this from your last statement about increasing hindmilk. Blockfeeding is good to help with this.

My LO clicks as well and I have OALD as long as your nipples are not sore while BF or after you are fine.

My LO eats for the same amount of time and this is completely normal. As long is she is gaining. Consider yourself lucky. I have heard mothers who bf for 45 mins. I can't imagine. Good Luck and HAPPY MOTHERS DAY!!
    Last edited by sarahs1; May 13th, 2007 at 03:17 PM.

I would like to add that Both Dj's mom and I had "clickers"; Dj is a beautiful healthy baby, and Will has had little problems dealing with my OALD. Clicking isn't always bad.

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    I would like to add that Both Dj's mom and I had "clickers"; Dj is a beautiful healthy baby, and Will has had little problems dealing with my OALD. Clicking isn't always bad.
    I didn't mention I had a clicker?? Oops! Yeah he thought it was normal to get milk in his eye and hair and I've actually seen carpentergirl catch a pool of milk in her own hands. I'd rather have too much milk than not enough.

Way too lazy for formula

I, too, thought I mentioned I had a clicker. Thats actually what brought me to seek help here on the LLL site We're happy and thriving at 11 mo and still block feeding and catching pools of milk in my hand - but no more clicking
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I have OALD and had oversupply. My LO clicked while eating for a long time. It started to get better at around 6 months when she could swallow faster. The clicking seemed to be her lips smacking to momentarily break suction, so as to let the excess milk she couldn't handle dribble out the side of her mouth.

I agree, blockfeeding would be a good way to get more hindmilk to the baby, but if your babe is gaining well then you shouldn't worry right now. Pooping with every feeding is normal for newborns. i also wanted to note that if you choose to pump a little to relieve engorgement, make sure you remove ONLY enough for comfort, or it could perpetuate your oversupply problem.

Good work mama!

OK...thanks. So I don't have to be concerned with a bowl movement with every feed? It happens as soon as we are done. It is really not too green, bright yellow but VERY much liquid. How about thick spit up-- with a lot of thick saliva?

This is a great place to get info! I would be so frustrated without it!

Quote Originally Posted by Meagan6 View Post
    OK...thanks. So I don't have to be concerned with a bowl movement with every feed? It happens as soon as we are done. It is really not too green, bright yellow but VERY much liquid. How about thick spit up-- with a lot of thick saliva?

This is a great place to get info! I would be so frustrated without it!
    No. As of now you have listed nothing to be worried about. In fact what you discribe is normal BF poop. All he is eating is milk. So there won't be anythign solid in his poop. If goes in liquid and comes out liquid. Totally normal. So is spit up. A laundry problem nothing more. Relax.

Way too lazy for formula