Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Strengthening suck

Default Strengthening suck

Does anyone have any ideas on how to strengthen sucking? My baby has a poor suck and it is really hard to keep him on the breast.
    Thanks!

Default Re: Strengthening suck

Hi there!
    Usually when a baby has trouble staying on the breast or sucking properly, the latch needs to be adjusted. Are you able to get ahold of a local LLL Leader (see the link in my signature) or lactation consultant to help you?

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Hows the latch coming along?

Its still not great. I noticed he can only latch well when my breasts are really full of milk. When they are softer, he doesnt latch right and he will spit it out and cry out of frustration. Ive worked with an LC and LLL. I dont know why he latches like this?????

So your baby has more trouble latching properly when your breasts feel fuller? Try compressing the breast gently when you're latching him--make a "C" with your hand and use it to hold your breast with your thumb above and 4 fingers underneath. Gently squeeze until your nipple sticks out. See if that helps him to get a better "grip"

Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."

I think she meant the opposite?

You're right carpenter girl--I worded that backwards, LOL. She has trouble latching when her breasts are softer.
    Jen

Ah ha, now that makes sense!

I have the same trouble. I changed from the cross craddle and craddle position to doing the football postion and that helped keep her latched on. Hope that helps!!