Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: "Silent Reflux"?

Default "Silent Reflux"?

Can anyone tell me more about silent reflux? I read that arching the back during a feeding was a sign, but I'd like to know more, especially from people whom I can interact with. Our nights have been getting hellish the past few days.

Default Re: "Silent Reflux"?

I don't know much about silent reflux, but the little 4 month old that I watch during the day has regular old reflux (you can actually hear it when it gets bad, sounds like congestion in his chest). When his medication doesn't kick in fast enough before feedings, he will arch his back and let out a high pitched scream/cry. He is formula fed, so I have to warm his bottles to the point of almost being hot for him to take them, not sure if that feels better or if it is just his preference. He takes 2ml of baby prevacid each morning and then 4 1ml doses of a medication (long name) that helps him not spit up.

Good luck, I am sure you will get other posts more specific to silent reflux.

Thanks for the info about the medication. We have a dr's appointment later today, though when I spoke to the dr. last night he seemed to think it was very bad gas. All I know is she is in pain - from about 5 pm until 11 pm last night she was screaming, and her crying is still hoarse from it today.

The upside of it is that she wears herself out crying so much that she eventually falls *very* soundly asleep for about 4-5 hours straight.

I noticed her sounding congested in her chest last night. The only thing is she doesn't spit up much, and although I read in various places (here included) that she can have reflux without spitting up, my pediatricians don't seem to believe that. I'm a bit worried she'll be misdiagnosed.

((((hugs)))) to you and her, I am sorry that last night was rough. Keep being persistant with the Dr until you get the answers that you need. All I know is that when Connor has a reflux flare, he sounds like he has a lot of fluid that he needs to cough up even though nothing ever does. Even when we ran out of the "spit-up" medication he still wasn't spitting up. I think it is more a preventative measure since that can make him feel worse.

Are you making sure to keep her at least at a 45 degree angle for 1/2 hour after feeding? Lying down right away will make it worse. Also, if it does seem to be reflux, know that breastmilk is the absolute best in helping ease it, and lying, feeding, with baby on her left side tends to be easiers because it blocks some valve that the refluc can come through (per Dr. Sears).

Keep us posted on what the doctor says. Oh, also have you tried cutting out milk? That can also be a big aggravant for gas and reflux.

We got a prescription for Zantac, which she started yesterday, and last night was problem-free for the first time in several days. That might conceivably be b/c she spent so much time in her car seat, etc, yesterday that she got a lot more napping done (she is very resistant to napping and fights me when I try to put her down - just got through with another one of these battles) than she often gets. But, regardless, no screaming period last night!

The doctor didn't do a milk test to see if she had reflux but he said that, since she has a well appointment in another week, we could take the Zantac until then and see what happens.

She tends to sound the most like she's got fluid she's going to spit up when she has the hiccups, which she gets at least once or twice a day - though often in the mornings they're "dry" hiccups. We have her crib mattress elevated and I generally keep her up either on my shoulder or in a sitting position for a while after a feeding anyway. The only problem with feeding her while she's lying on her left side is that she only nurses on my left breast, so she's always lying on her right. She did spit up last night at about 4:30 am, actual spit-up, which is very rare for her. She looked completely calm and pain-free as she did it, so that might've been gas-related instead of reflux... I'm keeping track of these things for the next appointment.

Thanks again for your reply and advice!