Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Update on DD's Iron Level

Default Update on DD's Iron Level

I had to share because I had posted that DD's iron levels were low and asked for some advice on implementing iron rich foods. I did that and she went from a 10 to a 12. See the DR. isn't always right. She told me it wasn't going to enough. Today she said I could keep doing what I was doing. Yay. I have been giving her high iron food paired with a vitamin c rich food twice a day and leaving dairy for snack time.

Default Re: Update on DD's Iron Level

Good work Sue! Glad you trusted your instincts, and to hear Mia is doing better!

Yay! So glad to hear this. Good job mama.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

thats great! what else besides watermelon is high in iron?? and, for vitamin c what did you give her? im scared to give austin oranges since my dsd choked on the pulp...
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world~

Here is the thread I started when her iron came back low. It has some links that list iron rich food. I do give DD oranges on the rind in slices and I cut the seeds and inner stringy piece off she just naws away until the flesh is gone but if that makes you nervous, you could juice it for him and put it in a cup. I just made a list of all the foods listed and have shopped for them and read labels on whole grain pasta which I make a salt and sugar free spaghetti sc for using tomatoes and fresh herbs. hth Also I give her egg for breakfast(organic). It took me several tries to get it how she likes it. It's the yolk that's high in iron. And you don't want to give dairy at the same time as the iron rich foods/vitamin c because it will slow the absorbtion of the iron. Cheerios or other O's are actually really high too.