Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: toddler waking with gas pains

Default toddler waking with gas pains

My 13 month old daughter occasionally (over the past couple of months) has been waking with what I think are terrible gas pains. When it happens, it only happens once during the night and after she's been asleep for a few hours.

What happens is, she'll either wake screaming or wake, nurse, and then start screaming (meaning the pain cry). I will try patting her back, rocking her from horizontal to vertical position (worked when she was a little baby), massaging her tummy. Usually I will get breaks in her cry when I try these things.

I think it's gas because I can feel it passing through her system.

Last night, however, nothing worked and she didn't stop crying for about 20 minutes. She just kept writhing in pain until it suddenly went away right when I was ready to call the doctor and rush to the er!

She doesn't eat much solid food and nurses a lot. Yesterday she ate mainly bagel and chicken. This has only happened a handful of times, but I'm concerned and wondering if any of you have experiences anything like this.

I'll see what the advice nurse has to say, too. Thanks much!

KMS

Default Re: toddler waking with gas pains

Hmmmm...I'm wondering if it might be teething. Has she ever shown a reaction like this before? It would be highly unusual for her to exhibit sensitivities to something in your breastmilk this late. I'm wondering if the crying isn't causing her to take in excess air and that might what you're feeling in her tummy?

I can't imagine what in a bagel or chicken would cause gas. How old is she?

She's just over 13 months. She has molars coming in (they're part way through). Thanks for the input... I sure hope it's teething! In the past I've given her Tylenol but it's hard to tell if it's the Tylenol working or if it just went away. How frustrating not knowing what's making her so uncomfortable...

chicken gives me gas realy bad, and talk about stink.
    She might also be having a bad dream, my William used to do that, he would cry like something was realy wrong, and it did start about a year.
    As he got older he didn't do it so much, but he would cry and gasp for air, and just be unconsolable for 15-20 mins. Hubby would take him downstairs and wake him up and then give him a glass of water to drink and he would have a hard time going back to sleep. but finaly would. IT didn't happen every night maybe just one time a month.
    As he got older maybe 2 we taught him to pray about it and he didn't have bad dreams anymore. just a thought..

My son has always been troubled by gas even though now FINALLY at 21 months he is able to get it out without waking all the way up and yelling. Chicken gives both of us gas! Water will definitely help if you can get her to take some. My son wouldn't do anything but nurse. We got some "Little Tummy's" gas relief drops which we used sparingly and they seemed to help. Do you have a big labor ball? (62") We bounced our son in an upright position and that gave him relief from the cramps.

Best of luck!