Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fluoride Ques

Default Fluoride Ques

Do I need to worry about my 5 month old dd getting enough fluoride? She is not on solids yet (exclusively bf) and I never drink tap water, only bottled spring water. Thanks for any advice!

Default Re: Fluoride Ques

This should help -- From "Should My Breastfed Baby Be Receiving Vitamin or Fluoride Supplements?":

Fluoride--The American Academy of Pediatrics recommended in its 1997 policy statement that babies younger than six months should NOT receive fluoride supplements and that babies older than six months receive supplements only if they live in an area where the drinking water contains less than 0.3 ppm of fluoride. Fluoride supplements tend to contribute to excess intestinal gas (wind).

There is more information available at the above link as well

Aah...thanks so much! Very interesting! I'll wait and see what her ped says at her 6 month check up. As for now, I'm going to continue exclusive bf my little one.

the doctor that i used to work for told people to stay away from it in general as it could have negative effects on the health so i would def stay away while dd is that young.

DS's pediatrician OK'd - and actually pushed for - DS (now 12 mo) to move from bottled water to tap (with fluoride in it) at 9 months, for whatever that's worth!
    We will see a pediatric dentist sometime in the next 4-6 months but I would not agree to a fluoride treatment at this age, certainly.
    Jsmom