Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I'm a milk machine and out of room in freezer!

Default I'm a milk machine and out of room in freezer!

My dd is 3 mos. old next week and I've been pumping since she was 5 days old. She goes to a baby sitter now that I'm back to work and drinks on average 1 bag of milk a day. The problem is that I'm pumping 3- 3/12 bags a day! I have no more room and I'm getting tired of getting up at 1:30am every night to pump!

How can I eliminate my night pumping and any suggestions of where I can donate some of my frozen milk?

Default Re: I'm a milk machine and out of room in freezer!

My little one is 3 1/2 months old. I too started pumping about either the fourth or fifth day and was getting up and pumping everynight preparing for my return to work (which is Friday ). I wanted to try and get some sleep and appear somewhat rested, so my dh gives our ds a bottle in the middle of the night, and I pump before going to sleep. I have been able to stretch my sleep a little each night by 15-20 minutes or so. I know can sleep up to six hours (Broken of course, and on a good night) w/o pumping.

Here is a site with milk banks that accept donations.

http://www.hmbana.org/

Is there any reason that you are pumping in the middle of the night, or is that the only time you have to pump? If you don't need the milk, I don't think you would need to continue to pump at that time. If you stop pumping over a week or two the engorgement at that time will subside, your body is thinking that you need to make more milk than because that is the time that you pump.

I am pumping in the middle of the night because I get so full it starts to hurt and plus I also leak. I've started only pumping enough to relieve myself at night - like 5 minutes a side instead of 10-15 minutes a side. I hope that helps!

If you are only pumping in the middle of the night to relieve engorgement than you need to try to wean yourself off of that pumping session. As long as you continue to pump at that time you will continue to get full at that time, as your body will try to keep your supply up with the demand. Could you slowly try to go longer between pumping? Like for instance if you feed the baby at 10 pm and normally pump at 1:30am, could you try to wait till 2:30 and than in another day wait till 3 or 4 or till the baby wakes up? So just slowly stretch the time out until you no longer need to pump then. I know that's how most working moms wean themselves during the day, by dropping one pumping at a time till they are able to go longer stretches between pumping. Hope that helps.

I feel your pain. I ramped myself up into oversupply when my milk came in so fast on day 3 that I was soon painfully engorged, ds could not latch on anymore, and he pretty much shredded my nipples before I called a lactation consultant in desperation. I had to pump for a week while I healed, and then it was a few more days using nipple shields, so I was supplementing with EBM. The end result was a serious oversupply problem (24 oz extra in a day! I could have fed two of him!) which I am just coming down from after a long process. I needed to pump after every feeding just to keep from getting clogged ducts and mastitis, which I got anyway once.

I was advised to pump until I was empty when I did pump, and to start trying to skip feedings and pump after every other, then every third, etc, until the last one I had was the first of the morning session. Now I need to pump about every day/day and a half, when the breasts have gotten full past the point where my ds can drain them. He usually eats off both sides for a while, then only off of one once I am getting really full again. today was a great day--I'm only 4 oz ahead of the game, which is probably about right since I will be going back to work soon.

The lactation consultants told me that it is better to pump less often and drain completely than to just pump a bit off the top to be comfortable, since that actually tells your body to make more milk. It has worked for the champion oversupplier--I hope it works for you too.