Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bottle feeding at hospital

Default Re: Bottle feeding at hospital

One more thing, Here in Ecuador it is illegal to for Milk companies such as Nestle and others to give away formula, or to "give as a gift". If you want to feed your baby formula you need to buy it yourself. I wonder why formula is so readeallly available at US hospitals and it is even given away for free to the mothers. I am disgusted.

I am glad to say my friend is doing much better and she is now exclusively BF every 2 hours. YEAAAAAY

I had a scare with my daughter during her first week- she had her blood tested and I was told that she was getting dehydrated, so she was readmitted to the hospital and given an IV and bottle fed.

I felt so TERRIBLE. I did a ton of research on breast feeding and came here well before her birth and made sure I nursed her minutes after she was born to make sure she learned fast how to eat.

After all that, she had a bottle of formula given to her at 2 days old and I had to nurse under the hospital staff's supervision before they'd let me take her home. It really did a number on my confidence, let my tell you.

But after a week of suplimenting her with a bottle, she began to exclusively nurse and has done so and thrived ever since. One upside, I suppose, of introducing her to the bottle so early is that she now easily goes from me to a bottle of pumped milk and will also take a pacifyer without any confusion. I know that this is a contradiction to what a lot of literature about nipple confusion says, but she's never had a problem with it. Perhaps because I nursed her so soon after birth.

Anyway...Ijust wanted to chime in and say its not a lost cause to breast feed after a baby has been given a bottle and formula fed. I also find it ironic that the only free stuff I get is formula- I've had formula come in the mail unsolicited, and came home with about 3 fancy tote bags "free as a courtesy to breast feeding moms" full of, you guessed it, formula!

As a postpartum nurse, I can tell you that when dealing with a healthy term infant that can latch and suck properly there is no need for supplementation. I am one of the few nurses on my unit that will encourage an exhausted mom to keep her baby with her in the room or at least have them come back to her when it is time to eat (our hospital only has a nursery during the hours of midnight and 6 am). There are times when I am coming on to shift and have been told by the mom that the previous nurse recommended that the baby go to the nursery for the night with a bottle feeding. I do remind them about the "demand" part of BFing, but most times mom has made up her mind that sleep sounds better than a couple of bottles-to this I say if you have the information you can make the decision for yourself.

We as parents need to arm ourselves with as much information as we can get and dialog with the "professionals" so that we can make a decision that best suits our families and our heath. I pass no judgement on anyone who chooses to use formula-I do try to give them the information I have and let that be that.

Like I said, there is very little reason to supplement a healthy term infant that has an intact sucking and swallow reflex. I have moms place a note in the crib that says "no bottles/pacifiers please I am trying to learn how to breastfeed thank you" or something like that. It is also very important for us to have support links in place prior to giving birth, like the LLL meetings, and some hospitals have support groups. And I ask the mothers if they would like the "free" diaper bag from the formula company before I just hand it out, most times they say yes. I also remind them that there are many places they can donate the formula to (that comes inside of the bag) if they don't want it in the house like women’s shelters.

I feel like I am fighting an up hill battle against the formula companies/nurses that are convinced that bottle feeding is somehow better and easier/and the mainstream thought that breastfeeding is inadequate-when it is just the opposite! to you nywifey for trying to help those around you!

This is a loooong post...

hospitals in the UK also give a small amout of free formula on discharge....only to FF babies though. All mums get a bounty pack but I don't remember getting formula in it...mostly creams and things...maybe I got some and didn't realise...I was kinda sleepy at the time.

My BF experience in the UK....

I went to BF workshop at 35 weeks, watched videoes of woman with big boobs sticking them in babies faces.... kinda wierd to watch.

I went to parentcraft classes 32-37 weeks where they explained benefits of breast v bottle...quietly pushed breast, about half the class wanted to BF....wonder how many managed.
    I was in a 4 bedded room after delivery and 3 of the mums BF, which was fantastic.

When DS was born I had skin to skin contact for about 1 1/2 hrs and managed to latch him on. The babies stay with mum at all times.

I had to stay in hospital for a couple of days to practice BF before they would discharge me. During the days and nights the midwifes and nursing assistants were great. they showed me how to latch him on when I was struggling, helped me to wind him...I had no clue what to do .

He was slightly jaundiced and didn't feed well for the first week but no-one mentioned FF. When I was discharged, the midwife came to my house daily to check latch, reassure me and keep me going and positive. Even when he lost more than 10% during the first week no one gave up. I was encouraged to keep going all the time and thankfully it worked out brilliantly.

Tracey, the experience you had was great, but no the norm by any means, sadly!
    I hear you! I just wanted to let everyone know that good health professionals are out there. I am crossing my fingers that the good ones will improve the standards of the crap ones

Let me just say that any UK hospital giving out formula to any mother could be in serious trouble they legally aren't allowed to give out formula
    . I know, they were just being helpful and sneaky

They were not allowed to let us have some, we had to STEAL it. Nice huh?
    tsk tsk....who'd a thunk you would be a tealeaf

That a bit ridiculous...What harm would there be in giving a few bottles away until you could get a supply.

Many women find as soon as the baby looses a bit of weight over here the Gp's and midwives go mental. Might be why so many women think they didnt have enough milk and why so many babies are having 1.5-2.0 the amount of milk they should.
    ikwym. Most of my family/friends who tried BF stopped on the advice of GP because they weren't producing enough.....

What is a tea leaf??
    lol welcome to the world of scottish rhyming slang

it's a thief

my mum told me they used to take their babies away for the night but they don't anymore. I don't know if it's just a local thing...ayrshire or the whole of scotland.

I did try to co-sleep in hospital, but they wouldn't let me.
    my ds slept in a cot thingy...technical term beside me. When he was unsettled they changed the cot to a co sleeper cot thingy which attached to my bed. They even encouraged me to sleep with him with me .... with the co sleeper blocking his exit.

you need to move up here!
    Last edited by tracy scotland; April 19th, 2007 at 09:16 AM.

This problem drives me insane.

I have seen so many moms in real life and online whos babieswere 'accidenatlly' given a bottle of formula!

I am having a hat made for the new baby that says "momma's milk only!" I would be soooooooo pissed if my baby was given formula.

I have a friend on another board who is a baby nurse at a hospital. She shared with me how the formula reps 'teach' the nurses how to 'offer' formula. Its all about the money... the formula industry is a dirty, dirty business.

Quote Originally Posted by jennybertha View Post
    for some reason the nurses conviced them that they were starving and that they needed to give them some formula.
    They did this to me, too. It's very hard to say NO when you are being told that your baby is starving. Had I known what I NOW know about breastfeeding, I would have put myfoot down. I was producing colostrum in my 6th month of pregnancy, and they told me my baby needed supplemental feedings of Enfamil because she was "so big" that her sugar levels were off and she needed more food than I could give her. Well she was 9lbs,8oz and I don't think it was necessary to give her formula. Their advice/guilt trips caused my supply to be really screwy. My milk didn't come in for 5 days, and I started pumping every feeding before it came in. When it came in it was in colossal excess. It took me 6 months to get it normal. It's amazing the damage they can do to breastfeeding relationships, and as medical professionals! It's sad. I wonder if they get bonuses from formula companies or something.

I was an absolute bear when it came to NO SUPPLEMENTS for my son. I went so far as to demand that the baby was not out of either mine or my HB's sight for one single solitary second during our 2 day hospital stay. Rooming-in is the norm in Canada, and even though DS did lose ~11% of his body weight, we still weren't pushed to FF.

On my way home from the hospital, we picked up bottles and a rental pump since he was losing so much weight. I had an abundant supply, but flat nipples (thanks to my OB who did nothing to treat them, despite my requests) and a lazy sucking boy ... man, what a craptastic start.

Anyway, I think that the only way to prevent the unwanted supplementation is to arm yourself with information and don't let that baby out of your sight!!