Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bottle feeding at hospital

Default Bottle feeding at hospital

I am a mom to an almost 20 month old girl who still breatfeeds. My experience has been so great that I am determined to help everyone I can to promote BF, however in the last two weeks two of my friends have given birth and both have had supplemental feedings at the hospital, for some reason the nurses conviced them that they were starving and that they needed to give them some formula.

I remember when my daughter was born, and I live in Ecuador, so things are a bit different here, you have to bring your own formula to the hospital and I did not bring any. I specifically gave instructions not to place any nipples in her mouth, and they still did and gave her water with sugar. I was able to BF fine and my daughter did not try cow's milk until she was a year old, she did not latch on until day 2 and that is why the nurses fed her the glucose water, but it is my understanding from literature I've read, that it is no necesary to give the baby anything, they will eventually latch on and BF normally.

How do we fight with this?? How do we convice the mother's and the nurses not to feedthem anything and that they eventually will latch on. How does a new mother impose her wish againt "Experienced" nurses??? I am wrong in thinking this way?? Is there a moment after so much time of the baby not latching on that you say it is ok to feed formula?

I want to help all my other future mother friends and give them good advice on this issue.

thank you for your comments.

Jenny

Default Re: Bottle feeding at hospital

Congratulations on nursing your daughter for so long! 20 months is a great achievement!

I my opinion, the best way to make sure no-one feed the baby but the baby's mom is to have the baby stay with the mom at all times. There is no medical reason for a healthy newborn to go to the nursery. Separating mom and baby interferes with the bonding process, and it interferes with breastfeeding, as the mom is not able to feed on demand, or to learn her baby's hunger cues. In the nursery, it is tempting for the nurses to give formula or sugar water. Perhaps they want to let the mom sleep, or they are too busy to bring the baby down the hall. And even if the nurses do bring the baby to the mom, the baby may have been crying for some time. A baby who has been frantic with hunger for several minutes has a lot more trouble latching than one who is just starting to get hungry and still fairly calm.

That being said, there is still an argument for supplemental feeding if the baby has lost more than 10% of its birth weight, or has become dehydrated. Of course, these things are unlikely to happen if the mom and baby are together!

Separating babies and mothers used to be routine in the US. It has taken several generations to change both hospital culture and mothers' expectations. Good for you for trying to change the way things are done!

I feel a lot of problems that come from breastfeeding stem from not doing enough reading about the topic before the baby is born. I met 3 women yesterday who all said they didn't have enough milk and so they had to switch to formula. Not knowing what to expect is why I feel many give up, which is sad. With a little more knowledge on the topic many more women would breastfeed in this country. Until there's more breastfeeding awareness and women make the topic as important as all the other baby stuff they read up on pre-baby, things won't change. That's just my opionon..

Congrats on your bf experience!
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

I agree with nywifey. I tried to BF my first and was not very knowledgable. It did not work out. I am more determined with this one and now know the benefits of BFing. I wish I had tried harder with DD. It helps me to know that at birth the baby's tummy is only the size of a marble. They don't really need much to be full. I also thought it wouldn't be hard. I wish I had gotten in touch with a LLL group last time. I am due next month and have already gone to two meetings. (That is where I heard about the tummy size).

Yes, ignorance is defintely a part of it. I was definetly well informed when my daughter was born and I specifically requested no nipples and the nurses still gave her the water with sugar, I was so upset.

When my daughter was born the nurses conviced me it would be better if she spent the night at the nursery and they took her away and brought her back the next morning, after that however they only took her away to bathe her and change her. Lucky she latched on on day 2. She was a C-section so I guess she was a little tired day one.

I really wish the nurses at the maternity ward would be a bit more understanding, it is my perception in the US and here in Ecuador through my experience that they really don't care if your baby is nursed or not. Am I wrong???

Well, let me say that when I had my first son, I fully intended to breastfeed. However, after days of my milk not comming in, I gave up in the hospital and of course they had plenty of formula on hand to feed my lo. So, by the time I left the hospital, I had all but given up on bfing and quit shortly after getting home.

Two years later I went to nursing school to become an RN. In our OB rotation, I learned a lot about mother-child bonding and more than enough on bfing. I felt so stupid that I had quit bfing and that I didn't know it was normal to not get your milk for 2-5 days after birth. I had no idea that I was not starving my lo.

All that knowledge has helped me to nurse this lo, now at 9 mo old.

So that being said, any OB or nursery nurse should know about breastfeeding. I was taught very well on the subject, including giving no supplement or nipples. Maybe the hopital has guidelines about it, or they choose to ignore their teaching.

As for the rooming in at the hospital, at the hospital where I had my two lo's, they take the baby after about an hour or so after birth to the nursery to do all their checks and let the baby warm up. Then you can have the baby all you want. I kept mine all but about 2 hours when they were waiting on the doctors to look at her. I did feel horrible though because while they were warming her up, she screamed her lungs out. I thought that was an awful way to have to be right after birth. If I had to do it again, I would have demanded to have her those two hours also.

My friend is now at home feeding her daughter formula, she says the baby is latching on, but that nothing comes out and she is starving so she feeds her the formula. I told her to start pumping as much as possible to bild up her supply. What else can she do??

Thanks for all your help

Jenny

keep trying to have the baby breastfeed. How old is the baby?
    Some moms find that it takes up to 5 days for their milk to come in fully longer if she has a c-section.
    theres a good link here at the web site that has info about getting baby back to the breast...

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/back.html

http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBJulAug01p136.html

the baby was born on friday so she is 3 days old, and she was born natural with epidural. I will send her to these links, thank you.

My milk didn't come in until day 5 and I ended up supplementing for a while. I didn't give in to supplement until she had lost almost a pound in 3 days. It took me 8 weeks to get her off the supplement, but it did happen and can be done.