Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Omg, why would my milk production dwindle like this? (1 month)

Default Omg, why would my milk production dwindle like this? (1 month)

So ive been pumping alot and feeding the baby with a bottle, bc my nipples were so sore. I know that the baby has to feed off me to keep production up so we went back to more of her latching on- but when I go to pump I do not have much there. I have a electric medella pump in style.

I did notice I havent been drinking enough fluids, and eating enough...or getting much rest caring for the 1 mo old.

Ive been supplementing her diet with enfamil, gentlease- I am not liking the color of her poop, and I notice the difference..

Any advice on how I can get my milk production up again? Thank you so much.

Default Re: Omg, why would my milk production dwindle like this? (1 month)

My first piece of advise - STOP PUMPING AND DO NOT USE FORMULA (formula is only messing with the economics of supply and demand)!!! Get your child to your breast as often as possible. I know you said that your nipples are sore, but do not replace bf with pumping if you're having supply issues.

If you can't stop pumping, RENT A HOSPITAL GRADE pump. As good as a Medela is, a hospital grade is better. And remember that the best pump only gets out between 30 & 40% of the milk in your breasts. And that's why my first piece of advise is to stop pumping.

If you do continue pumping, try nursing first, then pump.

My son was born early. For his first 2+ months, I'd nurse both sides, DH would give him a bottle of expressed BM while I pumped. It was exhausting, but considering I couldn't nurse for his first 3 days (he was in the NICU for 8 days total), I was afraid my supply might not be good.

My best piece of advise -- TRUST YOUR BODY. Your body will produce what your child needs. And drink plenty of water. I could and still can tell when I don't drink enough water (not just liquids, but water really makes a difference for me).

Good lucK!!!

Hugs,
    Alice

Thank you so much.

I will try to go 100% with BF.

i recommend using a Lanolin cream for your nipples to help releave some of the pain. i used it for the first couple months and i think that with out it i may not have continued to breastfeed my daughter.