Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Variety

Default Variety

Is it important to offer variety early on? DS has been dabbling in solids for a month now, and has been consistently having one meal a day since hitting the 6m mark. All I feed him is 2tsp sweet potato mixed with 1/2 oz EBM and about 2tbsp rice cereal. He likes it thick (and so do I as it's easier to clean up).

When do I need to start mixing things up and getting him used to a variety of tastes and textures?

Default Re: Variety

Whenever you and/or he are ready to do so! Most moms find things just evolve on their own. Is he interested in self feeding at all? If so, you could try some different textures with small pieces of food.

Smile Re: Variety

My LO's doc pushed us to start cereal and solids at 4 months of age. We switched docs to a Breastfeeding friendly one that told us "not before 6 months." At 6 months he said to start with the cereal in breastmilk. He said if all goes well for a few days and our LO likes it we can add pureed peas, sweet potato, carrots, bananas, apple sauce, pears and avacado one at a time giving each a 3-5 day window before starting a new food to make sure therer were not any reactions to the different foods. Before adding in a new one we had a day each of the already introduced foods to make sure she does not forget about them. She hated peas on the 1st try but loves them now. We feed about 2 tbs of Earth's best organic baby cereal mixed with EBM. For the foods we either make it ourself (if there is time) or we feed the Earth's Best organic baby food (level 1 in the little jars). One of those tiny jars will last anbout 203 feedings depending on what the flavor is.

In contrast, my brother and his wife has a baby 2 weeks before we did. His baby did the jars for about a week (starting at 4 months of age) and then jumped right to table foods of mom and dad's plates. He is eating meats, veggies, starches - everything! At only 2 weeks older he is about double the size of my LO but he has always been much larger than her from the start. (For example, at 1 month old he ouwld eat 8oz of milk at a time and want more whereas my LO would ear 2-3 oz at Max).

I say, go with what works for you!
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Just do what you guys are comfy with (as mentioned)... My baby is 8 months old, and we started solids at 1 week before 6 months, but he wasn't ready so we waited another 2 weeks and then he was more comfortable. He only eats about 4 oz of food (up from 2 oz two weeks ago).

We started with foods like avocado and sweet potatoes and would try one food for a week at a time, introducing one a week or so... and it wasn't till 2 weeks ago that I started mixing things together (like potatoes and peas or potatoes and broccoli (sp?)).

Thanks for all of your help!

ive heard the thicker the gums the quicker you need more variety

if you go back a few pages in the solids threads you will see lots of great ideas on what we all did way back when! specifically 'what are your lo's eating' was my favorite when i got stuck for what to introduce next
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world~

Quote Originally Posted by Blessedbee View Post
    ive heard the thicker the gums the quicker you need more variety
    Oh, so I better get cracking then!
    I'll find that thread you mention. Thanks!

Here's that thread for anyone else interested
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...ghlight=eating
    Last edited by Rochelleann; April 16th, 2007 at 12:33 PM.

yes....get that baby snackin!! im going to ask the dr about my mr sharky tonight btw.....
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world~

Let me know what your Dr. says!

again...im laughing.....and thinking of all the things i could tell you that she says! im going to feel really bad if there is some sort of 'condition' that results in some sort of toothy grin like this one