Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I feel like I am starving my baby!

Default I feel like I am starving my baby!

After supplementing for the past 5 weeks, I finally feel positive about my milk supply and decided to begin only BF. We are on 3rd day of only breast milk from my breast. He has been attached to my breast the last 2 days and then today he is extra sleepy and will only eat for a few minutes. I just put him on the scale and he is down about 2 oz since his weight check on Monday!!! Usually he would have gained at least 6-8 oz in 5 days, now he gained none and dropped 2.

My breasts feel very light and smooshy and my nipples seem smaller and softer then they have been. I was told that its b/c he is emptying my breast but I am starting to think he isn't getting enough or sucking right and my supply is on its way down again.

His latch changed too since I started only BF. Before he would latch on and suck hard and now it is hard to keep the nipple in his mouth! It slides out or he pushes it out. They were bigger when I was only BF a few times a day and pumping the rest.

I am really concerned about his weight. He is peeing the 6-8 wet diapers, but has pooping habits are unpredictable so we don't judge by that. He poops maybe once per week. I am about to give him the bottle again just because I am scared he is gonna continue to lose more.

Can anyone help me out?

Default Re: I feel like I am starving my baby!

hi
    first of all unless he is being weighed on the same scale at the same time of day naked each time, then you can't really know if he is gaining or not. can you let us know lo weight history? how much at birth, lowest weight and most recent?

the way your breasts feel don't always indicate milk supply - i have never been engorged. also as for poopy diapers my son only had one big one a day even in the beginning.

my lo slept on and off attached to my boob for the first 8 weeks at least - i would only get maybe 20 to 30 min between feeds then (although a little longer during the night). have you tried anything to keep baby awake while nursing? cold washcloth, change of clothes, breast compressions?

you are not starving your baby! if you are seeing at least 4 to 6 wets a day, that is great. when do you go back to the dr for another weight check?

hang in there - my son was in the 5th % for weight at 6 weeks - now at 6 mos he is in the 90 %. things will get easier and more natural as he gets older.

Paula
    Mom to Cody 2/3/92
    Mommy to Kaeden 10/06/06

His birth weight was 5.8, then went down to 5.1. on monday he was 7.10.

I do everything to keep him awake. sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt.

what about the nipple change thing? they used to be big and thats why he couldnt latch and now they are way smaller and he cant keep hold of them.

Thanks!

wow, that weight gain is great!

hmmm. i am not sure about the nipple thing, do you mean that they are flattening? if you mean they are flat, i think you could possibly use nipple shields to help draw them out, but i don't have experience with that. if that is what you mean, you could do a search on nipple shield here or someone else may come along with more info on that. let us know if that is what you mean and we can give you more info or tips!

Paula
    Mom to Cody 2/3/92
    Mommy to Kaeden 10/06/06

Hi! If you're concerned about your milk supply decreasing, you could try pumping after your baby feeds, or in between feeds. That way you are sure to empty the breast and keep your supply up.

Have you been to see a lactation consultant? It sounds like you need an expert to check on you and reassure you that things are going okay, or to help you in case they aren't.

HI there!
    I'm in the same boat. I've been supplementing, but don't feel it necessary anymore. I tried one time to just cut the supplement out, and the same thing happened....decrease in weight. I read somewhere, I think at kellymom.com that you need to slowly wean them off the formula. Decrease by 1 ounce total every couple days. I've been doing this and am now down from 10 oz per day to 7oz. I know it seems like it's taking forever, but he's still gaining! Yay! I think of it kind of like when we first go on a diet, it works really well and fast...because our bodies aren't used to being on less calories. I think it's the same thing. We need to let their bodies adjust slowly. HTH! And good luck!

GENTLE REMINDER: Nipple shields should be used only under the guidance of a LLL Leader or lactation consultant.

OP: How old is your baby? Here is an article that can help you determine if he's getting enough to eat:
    http://www.lalecheleague.com/FAQ/enough.html

I'm a little unclear about what you mean about your nipples, too, though I'm guessing perhaps they aren't as firm because you don't feel as "full" as you did before? When baby slides off repeatedly, it's usually because the latch isn't quite deep enough. Work on getting a deeper latch and see if that helps. Are you working with a LLL Leader or lactation consultant?

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Quote Originally Posted by LLL LactoJen View Post
    GENTLE REMINDER: Nipple shields should be used only under the guidance of a LLL Leader or lactation consultant

Jen

yes, by no means did i mean for op to do something like that! I just wanted her to know there are options!

sorry!

Paula
    Mom to Cody 2/3/92
    Mommy to Kaeden 10/06/06

No problem, Paula. I tend to post that any time the topic comes up . I've had posters suggest to each other to run down to Target or Babies R Us and buy a nipple shield without asking any Leaders or professionals first. Nipple shields can be a great tool under the right circumstances, but they aren't without their drawbacks. It's a risk/benefit decision!

Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

TaraRenee is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

What are the negative effects of nipple shields??