Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thrush Question

Default Thrush or something else?

I have a 4 month old DD. Is it possible for me to have thrush in just one breast with no evidence of thrush on the nipple? My only symptom is a stabbing, burning (extremely painful) pain that begins after nursing and lasts up to several hours.

Allow me to give a bit more detail. I first had a plugged duct (my first) that I resolved with dangle nursing, hot compresses, chin towards blocked duct. A week later I had a bleb, which I opened with a sterile needle. Then a few days later the shooting buring pains began. The bleb still hasn't healed and it looks like a yellow spot on the nipple - its almost flush with the nipple. I am on Day 6 of Diflucan and still feeling the shooting pains. DD is also on Day 6 of Nystatin and we are doing acidophilus for me.

This has been going on over a month and I have seen not one but 3 LCs. One of the LCs had me start Lecithin 1200mg 3xs per day and then I saw my OB and since I had no fever or redness on the breast he concluded thrush - thus the Diflucan.

Help us please, we're only on month 4 and I had planned on letting DD nurse as long as she wanted and lead the weaning process whenever she was ready but I am losing faith right now.
    Last edited by leahcatherinesmom; July 3rd, 2007 at 03:55 PM. Reason: added more info

Default Re: Thrush or something else?

It's clear that you've been through a lot. I do hope that you are able to find relief soon.

Is the pain only in the breast where the bleb was/is? Does the area look infected?

It might be useful to know that deep breast pain can be related to things other than thrush. The Breastfeeding Answer Book (2003) pg 512 says in part:
    Nipple trauma. Any cracks, bleeding, or scabs on the nipple can cause a nerve response that results in shooting pains in the breast, which can also be perceived as a burning sensation. This is known as "referred pain", when an injury or problemin one part of the body is felt in another part of the body. The Best treatment is to first correct the cause of the trauma which in most cases involves improving the baby's latch-on.

Bacterial Infection of the nipple is another example of "referred pain", which may be felt is burning or shooting breast pain. In two studies, more than half of the mothers who had moderate to severe nipple pain (with cracks, fissures, ulcers, and/or pus) also had Staphylococcus aureus bacterial infections in their nipples (Livingstone and Stringer 1999;Livingstone 1996)."

Default Re: Thrush Question

Thanks Jolie. The pain is only in the breast where the bleb is. Unfortunately that nipple duct will not stay open. I am really beginning to lean towards a bacterial infection based on some reading. Now to just get through the 4th to see if I can get back in to the OB and beg for help. I am just so upset because we had worked so hard to get pain free and now this. We have company and if one more person tells me to wean her I may start screaming!

Weaning wouldn't likely solve your pain, it might even compound it. Removing milk is crucial.

Is the bleb still there?

I see you're online now, so I'm going to give you some info that might help with that in the next post.

You could apply a warm, wet compress to the area, or wear a cotton ball soaked in olive oil in the bra. This will soften the skin. You could then attempt to peel away the thickened skin over the bleb. Next, you could try compressing the nipple behind the plug. You might express a thicked string of milk (helping to open the duct and keep it open).

After this, wash the area once a day with gentle, non anti-bacterial soap (otherwise not recommended to put soap on the nipples, in this case it is needed to prevent infection) and rinse well.

From The Breastfeeding Answer Book (2003) pg 485
    "Another way to prevent infection is to apply a thin layer of a topical antibiotic ointment such as Bactroban or Polysporin to her nipples alternated with an ultra-purified lanolin, such as Lansinoh Brand Lanolin for Breastfeeding Mothers, to prevent the formation of more thickened skin (Wilson-Clay and Hoover, p. 47). Because the antibiotic ointment is only minimally absorbed into the skin, almost none passes into the milk. And although the baby may ingest a small amount when breastfeeding, the drug is metabolized so quickly that it cannot accumulate in the baby's system and is therefore considered safe (Hale, p 504).

You can read quite a bit about the use of Bactroban, a prescription topical antibacterial ointment, on Dr. Hale's forums (the author of the often used resource Medications and Mothers' Milk). According to Hale, data suggests that Bacroban kills candida in addition to bacteria.
    http://neonatal.ttuhsc.edu/lact/medi...orumspage.html

You might share this information with your doctor.

HTH!

Jolie - Thanks for all of your help! I am hopeful that we can get this resolved. I am going to try the olive oil on the cotton ball. Its seems that I get the bleb open and then it closes over again. Sigh.

Well, I spoke with my OB's nurse. He still contends its thrush - which I just don't buy. I asked if he would call in a RX for APNO and faxed the ingredients over to them. I am waiting to hear back. I am so freaking frustrated. It seems like most medical practitioners want to say
    "breast is best" until something comes into play to make it more complicated. If I'm willing to stick it out through the pain, why in the world aren't they willing to help me?

Just wanted to give you a

I went through this with my son. It is very frustrating, so hang in there. The best thing for me was dr. newman's nipple ointment... the stuff is priceless!

Good Luck and please do not listen to ppl.... you are a mommy, do whats in your heart!
    Proud Mommy to Michael who is 3 now! Michael was nurseynursed for 2 years!!
    I did not make up this persona, but if I did, I would make myself 50 pounds lighter and 5 years younger!!!!

I have very bad cracked nipples I keep hearing of newmans cream but where do u get that? approx how much does it cost?

you have to find a compounding pharmacy... You have to have someone fill out a prescription.. i went to a midwife. It cost close to $90.. very expensive, but i think you can get reimbursed
    Proud Mommy to Michael who is 3 now! Michael was nurseynursed for 2 years!!
    I did not make up this persona, but if I did, I would make myself 50 pounds lighter and 5 years younger!!!!