Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: solid ideas.. dd only eats fruit!

Default solid ideas.. dd only eats fruit!

my ped has offered no real advice on feeding my dd solids, only that she should be eating three meals a day to help put weight on. in the beginning she loved solids and would eat anything i gave her. sweet potato, avocado and banana were the staples. then she surprised me by eating whole pieces of rice, i would mix it with mashed sweet potato and applesauce. i tried peas, no go.. i tried oatmeal and every now and then she'll eat one or two spoonfuls, no matter what the consistency. i've tried jarred baby food, no go.... well except the fruit. now she'll only eat fruit and has been getting a little bit of a diaper rash. she'll eat grapes, cheerios and wants anything i'm eating, but i don't give it to her. i'm a little lost on what to give her. meat seams to be too dry for her to get down, tho she does like it. do i have to make a point to get some protein into her every day? she still nurses like always. has anyone tried egg yolk? when is it ok to give toast or cooked pasta, and what is the trick to get veggies in? sorry so long.. i just feel like i'm not regimented enough with solids and only offer twice a day. thanks

Default Re: solid ideas.. dd only eats fruit!

how old is baby?

8 months

She's old enough for toast. And if your not ready to give her meats try introducing whole beans. Goes great with rice and fill in nice for meat. Which you can season with spice and/OR meat. Also string cheese, rice cakes are good at this age. Cucumber spears are a good vegetable. My son has always loved artichokes. Celery. A ton of fresh fruit is is fine. Even at a 15 months my son probably eats more fruit in a day that anything else. We give him two kinds for breakfast, two or three with lunch and one or two with snack. It's with other stuff but that's still ALOT of fruit. Just keep trying new stuff.

Way too lazy for formula

table foods should be ok, what ever your eating if its healthy!

MEat was the only thing that I ground up for my last two babies.

breastmilk is best for putting on weight, it has more callories then most solid foods that are givin to babies.

heres a link

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi...dcalories.html

k those giving toast... do u put butter on it at this age or just dry? and i thought you had to wait until 9 months for beans, is it not really a big deal?

dr sears has some good info on his web site for starting solids
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T030100.asp
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T030500.asp

heres the LLL page for starting solids
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBsolids.html

heres a little quote from that link
    You don't need to worry too much about what foods you start on what schedule. In fact, you should stay flexible and watch how well your baby accepts new foods. A good schedule allows four to seven days between introductions of each new food. Some parents prefer to start with a bit of mashed banana. Some prefer warm cooked cereal. A few like to begin with mashed bits of sweet potato or avocado.

Quote Originally Posted by stressball View Post
    k those giving toast... do u put butter on it at this age or just dry? and i thought you had to wait until 9 months for beans, is it not really a big deal?
    I didn't use butter until the year point but I don't think it's an issue because it's dairy and we were feeding cheese and yogurt that month. We actually used strips of toast to "dip" he would dip it in yogurt or applesauce because he didn't use a spoon and I wasn't feeding him anything he couldn't get to his own mouth. SO that's how he ate yogurt and applesauce until he was over a year old. With strips of toast.

Way too lazy for formula

Hi! If you're worried about protein, you might try really soft boiled chicken from chicken soup, and tofu. Both are soft and easy to get down. On the veggie front, I've heard that some kids will take vegetables if they are coated with a little bit of fruit- for instance, a spoonful of spinach with a coating of applesauce. Don't worry too much about not giving your baby a lot of solids. My terrific pediatrician says that up to the age of one year, solids are just for experimentation.