Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: self feeding...chunkier food

Question self feeding...chunkier food

my daughter is 8 months old. we started her on solids when she was 6 months old. i've given her mostly earth's best baby food. anyhow, i wanted to experiment with more texture and also start her on learning to self feed. i gave her some avocado the other day. sliced it and gave her a piece. she mostly just smooshed it up in her hands. i then mashed some up to give to her and she mostly gagged on it and spit it out. what does this mean? she takes pureed food fine. is she not ready for self-feeding and more textured food? how should i go about this? thanks.

Default Re: self feeding...chunkier food

Just keep trying. My dd was probably 10 months before she mastered self-feeding instead of just mushing. We would offer pieces of food every few days and one day she just picked up a piece and popped it in her mouth. The gagging could be because the taste is bad or the texture is strange. My ped says that babies this age have a really strong gag reflex so to expect some gagging when starting foods.

Default Re: self feeding...chunkier food

we pretty much always did finger food....except like yogurt and ds wouldnt take it from a spoon for very long......i would put little pieces on your lo's tray in addition to feeding her like she is used to.....some will make it to her mouth...also, smush it like the same consistency as the babyfood shes used to and let her taste it off your finger first....then let her be.....she will eat it when shes ready especially if she senses you dont care i bet....
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world~