Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BTDTs Teething question

Default BTDTs Teething question

Hello veteran moms,

Can anyone tell me how long teething symptoms are supposed to last before they actually break a tooth?

My daughter is 5 1/2 months - we first saw signs of teething at 3 months (hard-core chewing, fussy, hard to get to sleep, etc.), which laster about a week and then went away. We had another bout at 4 months, again subsided after a week or so.

Now she is chewing constantly and making a lot of noise (yelling, moaning) when she does, is waking at night and is also uncharacteristically (sp?) fussy at random times, ramming her hands into her mouth and crying. I hold off as long as I can before dosing her with tylenol or motrin to make sure I am not misdiagnosing, but as soon as the medicine kicks in at night she is down for the count (finally, relief!).

However, still no teeth, and no real visible sign that they are trying to push through. I am mostly concerned because of the medicine...I hate medicating her and am constantly concerned that I am doing it too often. Still, nothing else seems to make her feel better.

Also, it is not an ear infection - she was recently treated for one of those and the signs were different for that.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Default Re: BTDTs Teething question

I hesitate to give DS tylenol too. Its so hard to know when they are teething if you don't see any teeth coming thru. I did buy some Hylands teething tablets and hope they help. I tried them yesterday but DS seemed to get even crankier but I think he was overtired as well.
    C:\Documents and Settings\David Lawrence\My Documents\My Pictures\DSC00970.jpg
    Mommy to Alexander
    Born Oct 6,2006

Default Re: BTDTs Teething question

My son started to get incredibly cranky at 4 months - I'm talking horrible! Screaming, there was nothing I could do to calm him down - he wouldn't even nurse unless it was night time and he was too tired to complain. This lasted 5 days, and on the 6th day, a tooth broke through. 2 hours after I saw the first one, there was another one by it's side. I was amazed at how quickly they came through...

Prior to this, he was drooling for weeks on end, and chewing on EVERYTHING. It's totally different for every baby though. I've known some infant teeth to come up and down and up and down before finally deciding to pop through. This might be why your LO is behaving as they are.

Good luck, and hang in there! As soon as my son's teeth popped through, he was like a different child!