Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: lll meeting disappointment

Default lll meeting disappointment

So I went to my first LLL meeting last night looking for some reassurance that breastmilk was all my lo needed...and solids were only for the experience....well I did not get it. EVERYONE looked at me like I was a mad woman because I said that I don't think my ds needs solids on a regular basis, and I was told that he SHOULD be having a few meals a day.
    ETA: My ds is 8 mo

I also told the group that now that ds is able to pick tiny pieces of food up and get it in his mouth I have no problem giving him opportunities to eat everyday. But I was not comfortable with how much he was eating during a spoon feeding session (he was wiping out 4 oz like nothing and I was concerned that it was just curiosity and the fact that I was putting a spoon in his face and that the phase of eating that much would pass and my milk supply would be hurt because of it)....so at the meeting I also asked if anyone did not spoonfeed and just let their lo eat finger foods at their own pace (and of course help out a little when needed.) Once again, I was a mad woman! I don't understand why I was not getting any support.
    ETA: Also I was told that most finger foods are unhealthy, so that is one reason to spoon feed.....here is my list of finger foods:banana, cherrios, avocado, sweet potato....hmmm real unhealthy

Some background on my son:
    Born full term 8lbs 14 oz 20 in...he was in the fiftieth percentile for weight up until his six month checkup, he dropped to the 10th percentile between 4 months and six months, and now at eight months he is still in the 10th percentile.....head circ and height is still 50th last I knew

I was advised by ds's FIRED pediatrician to give him 3 meals a day to help him gain more weight.
    The new pediatrician asked what we are doing for solids and I told him it was just a real casual thing, no set schedule, some days there are no solids at all, and he just said but he is interested in solids right...I said yes...and he said GOOD!
    The new pediatrician said my son looked great and there was nothing wrong with his weight, he is just on the smaller side, and very healthy. And he mentioned absolutely nothing about solids to put weight on him.

I don't know why or what it is, but I just have this "FEELING" that ds is not ready for very many solids, and I hate to go against my gut

Sorry this got so long...but is what I want to do with the self feeding really so weird that it is not accepted at an LLL meeting ?
    By the way, I am moving in a month so hopefully the LLL group there is a little more supportive.
    Last edited by ee_lime; April 14th, 2007 at 09:13 AM.

Emilee
    Wife and Mommy
    DS born on Aug 4th 2006 @ 8 lbs 14 oz and 20 inches
    DD born at Home on May 10th 2008 @ 8 lbs 14 oz and 20 inches

Default Re: lll meeting disappointment

Emillee,
    I'm sorry you had a disappointing experience at your first LLL meeting. You thought you would find some like minded moms there, and you didn't.

It is important to remember that only LLL Leaders speak for LLL and we encourage all mothers to participate, at meetings, but you will hear some things that you don't agree with or surprise you. Just like being at the grocery store, you need to take what works for you and leave the rest.

Also, every group does has its own unique flavor, so attending another meeting might be a good idea! Sometimes we need to shop around a little for the right fit!

It sounds to me like what you are doing makes perfect sense. I think you would fit well in our LLL group, so please don't let this one experience completely turn you off to the idea of attending.

Quote Originally Posted by I-Man's Momma View Post
    It sounds to me like what you are doing makes perfect sense. I think you would fit well in our LLL group, so please don't let this one experience completely turn you off to the idea of attending.
    Thanks No I am even more excited about the next meeting when we move because chances are I won't have two bad experiences in a row, so the odds are in my favor.

Emilee
    Wife and Mommy
    DS born on Aug 4th 2006 @ 8 lbs 14 oz and 20 inches
    DD born at Home on May 10th 2008 @ 8 lbs 14 oz and 20 inches

Quote Originally Posted by ee_lime View Post
    Thanks No I am even more excited about the next meeting when we move because chances are I won't have two bad experiences in a row, so the odds are in my favor.
    Good way to look at! Sorry you had a crummy time.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

for your first experience not going so well. I am glad you are willing to give it another go!

Quote Originally Posted by LLLKate View Post
    Just like being at the grocery store, you need to take what works for you and leave the rest.
    LOVE THIS!!!!! (Hope you don't mind, but I will have to borrow this phrase for my new mommies and daddies that are freaking out because of all the info they get right after birth!)

i had a similar experience when i went......i guess i was expecting a mix kind of like what we have here on these boards....but none of them even knew about the boards or babyled anything.....they all had older kids and babies so had known eachother quite a while too......anyway, i know how you feel to get all excited to meet likeminded people and then be disappointed.....better luck next time!
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world~

Maria said:

for your first experience not going so well. I am glad you are willing to give it another go!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LLLKate
    Just like being at the grocery store, you need to take what works for you and leave the rest.

LOVE THIS!!!!! (Hope you don't mind, but I will have to borrow this phrase for my new mommies and daddies that are freaking out because of all the info they get right after birth!)

I can't honestly take credit for it! I learned it from my co-Leaders during my Leader Applicant process. I always loved the analogy too and use it at the start of every meeting. So-go for it! Way to educate those new moms and dads!__________________

man I hope your moving to my area, my group is great!
    WE just had our number 4 meeting., I cann't speak for the other moms but I don't think anybody went away fealing bad.
    Some leaders are beter then others at leading meetings, it does take some practice! Give them another chance, solids can be a touchy subject.