Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: concerns about my overwieght baby

Exclamation concerns about my overwieght baby

My 6 wk old baby went to the Dr yesterday. I am very concerned I am feeding him too much( he is exclusively bf) He weighed in at 12lbs 8oz he was 7 lbs and 11 oz at birth. Am I worried over nothing? Or should I be concerned

Default Re: concerns about my overwieght baby

I am not sure that an ebf baby can over eat...I would NOT try to limit her feedings

Emilee
    Wife and Mommy
    DS born on Aug 4th 2006 @ 8 lbs 14 oz and 20 inches
    DD born at Home on May 10th 2008 @ 8 lbs 14 oz and 20 inches

My LO did the same thing, good job with the milk mama! You can not over feed a breast fed baby because there are no "extra" calories in breast milk. They are using it to grow! Most breast fed babies gain pretty quickly for 2-3 months and then even out. He will probably not continue at this rate all the way until his birthday. No worries, he's doing great!

If it make you feel any better, my son was 9 lbs 2 oz at birth (dropped to less than 8 1/2 lbs) and was 12 lbs 8 oz at 4 weeks. He's still a big boy (27 lbs at 14 months), but perfectly healthy and active. Nothing to worry about.

You are doing an awesome job feeding him! My twins went from 10th to 50th and 75th percentiles from 4wk to 8wks, I plan to bf as long as possible. You gotta love chubby babies. They lose it when they start moving around anyway, so don't be alarmed if your lo is rolly polly for the first few months.

I think he sounds great!

My daughter was in the 56th percentile for height and the 96th for weight at 3 weeks (exclusively BF)

At her 4-month, she was 78th and 80th percentiles, respectively, and she is looking more and more proportionate every day. My doc tells me she is *perfect.*

Congratulate yourself on a job well done!!

Quote Originally Posted by leeann101883 View Post
    My 6 wk old baby went to the Dr yesterday. I am very concerned I am feeding him too much( he is exclusively bf) He weighed in at 12lbs 8oz he was 7 lbs and 11 oz at birth. Am I worried over nothing? Or should I be concerned
    you are worried over nothing! weight gain will slow down between 6 and 12 months for sure if not before. and be so thankful you don't have concerns about an underweight baby!!!

Paula
    Mom to Cody 2/3/92
    Mommy to Kaeden 10/06/06