Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby feeding for very short periods, PLEASE HELP

Default Baby feeding for very short periods, PLEASE HELP

Hi there, my baby is eight weeks old and so far we have not had many issues with breastfeeding. However, in the last week she has cut the time of her feedings drastically. She used to nurse for at least 10 minutes per side every two hours, every 4-5 at night, and now she is nursing 5 minutes on the first side followed by 3-5 on the second side. I am worried that she is not receiving enough hind milk and that my milk supply will be negatively affected. Should I be looking to extend the feedings? Might she be doing this because she is not hungry enough every 2 hours????

Default Re: Baby feeding for very short periods, PLEASE HELP

what are her wet diapars like?
    Sometimes babies get very good at breastfeeding and they don't need the extra time like at the beging.
    Plus expect this to change as they get older and have days when they want to nurse more often.

I think getting used to the changes in baby's nursing patterns is one of the harder things about bf. By the time you get used to this, something else will happen. My lo, when she was 8 weeks old, used to nurse for 45 minutes to an hour at a pop. Now, at 6 months, she can be done in 5 minutes if she wants to. As long as she has enough wet and dirty diapers, I try not to worry too much. But, in my mind I'm thinking...you're done already, you can't be done, are you sure you got enough to eat. And then, she'll have a diaper that is absolutely soaked. Well, you know if it's coming out, it had to get in there somehow.

Thank you for your replies. She is having the recommended amount of wet and dirty diapers...it is good to know that variation is normal and I suppose I will trust that she is getting enough! Thanks for the support!

yeah - I just echo the pp. My LO would easily nurse for 30-40 minutes when a newborn. Now, we can do both sides in like 12 minutes. it is only when she is sleepy or nursing for comfort that a session may go longer.