Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please please please help!

Question Please please please help!

Okay, so maybe it's just the new mommy hormones raging around, but while I love breastfeeding my sweet baby, I'm going nuts! I'm terrified to latch her on, and every two hours I start dreading that first little hunger cue. My nipples are in relatively good condition except that both of them have what looks like a tear in the outer sides, which I think was caused by too tight a bra. Latching on is seriously the pits with that awful sharpness, and you know that ouchy feeling you get when you stub your toe? They feel like that most of the time even when I'm not feeding her. Is that normal? I about ready to cry, and seriously don't want to. What should breastfeeding feel like? This is my first (three weeks), and I thought I was doing it right, but I'm not so sure. Please help soon! Also, my dd's jaw tends to bite down a lot. She's only 3 weeks old. How do I get her to stop gumming me? Is she supposed to? And how can I keep her lips flared? They always tuck up. Thank you so much for any help! I could really use a hug, lol.

Default Re: Please please please help!

bf is a nightmare at first. the pain you experience will eventually go away once your nipple toughen up.

i remember my first 6 weeks was hell. but after that, things will just get better. dd is now 11 weeks, and i've returned to work for 3 weeks now. she is still fully on breast milk and i am proud of it.

dont give up. give you and your lo time to learn and master the bf skill that is most comfy for you.

I know what your are going through and it's no fun. But, the good news is that with the right support these things can get fixed and you will no longer dread feeding your LO. Honestly, your best bet for help is to call a LLL Leader or an IBCLC and get some in person help. It doesn't mean you've failed--there is just a huge learning curve and having someone help makes all the difference. I don't know what I would have done without my friend who is a LLLLeader and IBCLC (and my lactation nurse and my sister and my husband...) Big hugs to you!

It sounds like a bad latch to me. You might want to find a LC in your area to have her watch you nurse and assist in correcting the latch if that is indeed the issue.

Are you getting her to open her mouth wind and then pulling her to your breast? Have you tried the football hold? That is a good position for latch on problems. Improper positioning, latch and removal from breast can all cause the tenderness or cracking that you are experiencing.

You might also want to get some Lanisoh for some relief. I have also read somewhere that you can rub your nipples with ice before nursing so they are slightly numb and less painful. I don't know if this works, but it couldn't hurt. (no pun intended)

BTW - 3 weeks is a short amount of time when it comes to getting breastfeeding going well. Give it a little more time. Try to find a place/position that makes you more relaxed while nursing.

Good luck! As stressful as it may seem at first, it will be so easy after a while.

This is really hard to describe w/o a picture, but I can't find any good diagrams on the internet. My son gummed me also when we first started. I would get so frustrated with him, poor guy. It hurt a lot.

My LLL consultant had me have him latch a little differently. We would put him in the football hold, with his mouth below my nipple, so low that he would have to reach his head way up toward my nipple just to reach it. Then when he latched, he would have to open really wide to barely get his top lip over my nipple. The top half of my areola was not covered by his lips, but his lips went completely over the bottom of my areola. (I have teeny ones though)
    This forced him to have more of the nipple in the mouth so that he wouldn't be able to pinch it. I'm sure that is easier read than done, maybe someone has a diagram of that.

It took me about 6 weeks to not hurt anymore. After that it was wonderful and didn't matter how he latched, it just didn't hurt.

Also read that newborns will pinch your breast if your milk is flowing too fast so they can make the amount more manageable. Could this be a problem?

I wound up going to a LC 2 times within the first two months. I thought well everyone told me it was going to be hard and hurt at first...but guess what..once I got to the consultants office she asked me to do what I do and she would observe me. Well...I was not doing a single thing right. BF'ing is not something that comes naturally. It's not easy. After the first visit I left thinking I had it..no problem. Got home, not so much. Went back after 2 weeks or so for lesson #2. Take advantage of their help. You will NOT regret it!

Best of luck to you
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

Dr. Jack Newman has some videos on how to latch a baby. For the first 6 weeks after DS was born, whenever he would latch, I would curl my toes under and rock really hard in the recliner because it hurt so bad. I couldn't let anyone know it hurt either because they were already trying to talk me out of BFing because none of them did it. Look up that Jack Newman web-site adn watch those videos and if you have a local LC in the area, give her a call. Big to you for sticking it out this long. I promise it will get better and you will be SO thankful you stuck it out. It really really does get better. HTH!!!

Hang in there because it WILL GET BETTER !
    I remember all that pain, what I would do was when she was about to latch on I would say the ABC's and by the time I got to G the pain subsided. That and I would think about all the great benefits that my breastmilk had for my baby girl. She is now 7mths and I almost (if you can imagine) forgot what that pain felt like. Hang in there!!!

Red face Re: Please please please help!

*Phwew!* Thank you so much all of you for replying, and so quickly too! I was at my wits end yesterday trying to heal up from a nasty delivery war wound, and the breast pain was the last straw. I'd break out into tears every time I needed to latch her on, but your support kept me going, and latching her onto more of the bottom part of the areola is already helping a bit. I tried calling a number for a lady who offers bf support and help here, but she wasn't home, so you guys were life savers! As for the Lansinoh suggestion? Angels sang when I put it on, lol. I'm also REALLY relieved to hear that the pain does eventually stop, I just hope I don't look like mince meat by then! Thanks again also for help with the gumming problem. You ladies are beautiful! Keep on doing what your doing, 'cause you're really making a difference. God bless!