Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sucking Fingers during feedings

Default Sucking Fingers during feedings

So my DD of almost 7 mos. has been eating solids now for about a week. She's doing really well and eats even more when Daddy feeds her but after each bite she puts her fingers in her mouth and sucks on them for a little bit and pulls them out for the next bite and continues this through the entire feeding. It's kinda nice because her hand keeps all the food in her mouth LOL but I was wondering what this was all about.... BTW, she sucks her fingers all day so it's not just a food thing.... Thanks for any input on this!!

Default Re: Sucking Fingers during feedings

Not sure what it means, other than that babies like to suck. My los would often go through a stage where they would try to suck on their fingers while nursing.

Laura

Teething causes them to do that too, I guess they are rubbing their gums while sucking their fingers to ease the pain. My son has been "eating" his finger for a month and then suddenly we saw a tooth

Our LO does the same thing. She's working through the cereals now, so it is quite messy, but she seems to enjoy it.

I recently asked a question on the forum about this. You might be able to find it. My 6 month old dd does the same thing, and has been on solids for about 3 weeks now. I have found that giving her another spoon to hold and play with helps, as well as sitting the bowl of food right in front of her and letting her dig her hands in it. I have a feeling it is a comfort thing, and when she can dig her hands into the food to know what she is eating, she seems to be less interested in constantly keeping them in her mouth. BTW, be thankful she takes them out when you give her the food. Sometimes we have to get the spoon in the top of her mouth with her fingers in the bottom

Anyway, good luck

Sara
    Mommy to gorgeous Ella Jean born 10/6/2006

All of this time is just time for a baby to explore themselves- it sounds to me like she's just getting the feel for what is going on in her mouth! Babies love to finger and gum things as their primary way of "getting to know" something. And eating is new to her- so that's probably all this is. Like you said, it's a bonus because she helps get the food down in there! Just try not to be upset about it, and give her a good bib- i know sometimes at 35 I'd rather feel and play around with my food than eat it, too!

We would sometimes put some babyfood on Aaron's tray and let him smear it around just for kicks.

My LO is almost 7 months and going through the same thing. We use a nursing necklace (Marti Gras beads) to keep her hands busy while nursing or she will slip a finger into her latch and lets just say...I let her do it once and ouch!!!
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

My baby sucks her fingers during feedings too. She will be 9 months next Monday (April 23rd). I read somewhere that they do that to help them swallow.

One of my DDs does the same...she's sucking on hand all day, so I just think it's more of the same!

My lo is also sucking her fingers as a sign that she's hungry. she's also exploring her fingers and when she do that i'll give her rattle or or her lamaze toys so she can hear sounds aside from exploring her fingers.