Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pain forever?

Default Re: Pain forever?

keep up the good work..

Hi. I remember i was in the position for several weeks and just magically one day the pain was away. I had tried all creams but nothing seemed to heal the cracked nipples. My ped and lactation consultant suggested to put an oil. In greek it's called 'spatholado'. I had a research on the internet and it's called 'St' John's worn' oil. She told me to put it on my nipples and behind my baby's ears and not to be afraid that the baby could it. It was fantastic!!!

Many kudos to you for not quitting... Your experience sounds identical to mine! It is pretty excrutiating, BUT it gets better!

Some of the things that I did, which helped immensly:
    - Go around topless as much as you possibly can - and if you can't, as someone already mentioned - just wear a cotton t-shirt, nothing else.
    - I'm not sure what position in which you are feeding, but have you tried a different position? I went from the cross-cradle to laying down facing my baby (so we were parallel), and letting him feed that way - it was a nice break from the regular spots that were sore.
    - Someone already mentioned this, but hand expressing is much gentler than pumping if you need to feed more on one side.

I'm so sorry you are going through this, as I know how badly it hurts, but it does get so much better. Keep up the great work, and make sure that your baby gets the latch down pat.

Smile Re: Pain forever?

Just reading all the replies and all the info makes sense.

Just want to say I got cracked nipples when I had been feeding for a year!!!

Just kept putting on the cream and it did go away but it hurt a lot!!!

Eventually fed for 18 months and enjoyed every minute of it.

Do think my son will be a boob man though!!

x
    Julie and Ash 2.5 years

I second what everyone said, just wanted to tell you that you are doing great, and it does get better!! It can really stink at times though! I remember biting my lip everytime I knew she had to nurse, but do get the latch checked, mine was all beat up from the first few days with a bad/poor latch (LO was born on a holiday and NO LC at the hosp during that time ) BUT, we got it worked out, but once she latched correct, they were still ravaged from before, so it just takes some time, I want ot say it was a few weeks,... and just like one person said, one day it just didn't hurt!

Hang in there!!

My LO will be 4 wks old next Tuesday and you guys were right...all of a sudden the pain magically stopped. I haven't had any major pain in 2 days now! Things are looking up!

Quote Originally Posted by watsonkt View Post
    My LO will be 4 wks old next Tuesday and you guys were right...all of a sudden the pain magically stopped. I haven't had any major pain in 2 days now! Things are looking up!
    YYEEAAHHH!!

My advice isn't really new but I just wanted to encourage you to visit a lacation consultant ASAP. I waited until my baby was 3 weeks before seeing one because I thought the pain was normal. As it turned out I had a bad latch and ended up with extensive damage that caused problems for over 5 months. My baby is now 7 months and all is great but I spent a long time in pain.

I did have a differnt type of pain for about a week during the early stages that would shoot up into my armpits. If you are having any of this, it went away once my milk was established and my breasts were less engoraged.

Good luck and I hope nursing improves quickly.

Sorry to hear about your pain.

Make sure your latch has improved since bleeding and cracked nipples are usually caused by a poor latch.

Also make sure your LO opens wide. I felt some soreness every time my lo latch on despite a good latch and after about 5 weeks didn't feel it anymore. Now it's like my nipples are really tough, you won't feel any pain in time! It's great. Hang in there.

When you're done breastfeeding first rub your nipple with breastmilk, then when they've air dried use the lansinoh cream. BM is great. Another thing to try are soothie gel pads. They are very cooling. Playtex also carries them on drugstore.com. Wait until the bleeding and crack nipples have healed.
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com