Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pain forever?

Default Pain forever?

I'm BF my son who is now 2 weeks old and everytime he latches on I feel this sharp pain that lasts for about a minute then it goes away and everything feels fine. Right now my nipples are pretty cracked and bleeding, but I think they are getting a little better.
    Is this something that I'm just going to have to get use to? Will the pain last forever? Do I just need to toughen up?

Default Re: Pain forever?

I'm sure some of the more experienced ladies can give you more info than I can offer, where mine is only based on my 5 months of BF experience... With that said, I think your pain is normal. I would have to just bite my lip in the very begining until it got to the point where it didn't hurt anymore. I think it took me about 3 weeks for it to stop hurting so bad. I remember it felt like someone was cutting me with glass! Just hang in there. Are you using that lansinoh stuff for your nipples? that helped me a lot...HTH!

Red face Re: Pain forever?

that is normal dont give up it goes away!!! for the cracked nipples use Lansinoh cream its in the brest stuff aile at walmart it works trust me!!! if i can bf u can u feel like u want to give up at times but dont after 2mo it gets so much easier and if the baby is latching on easy u have it made!! if u need help with milk production let me know i can offer some suggestions

Hi there,

I experienced the same thing with my dd who is now 8 mo old. Just a month ago I started having bad, open, bleeding cracks that lasted me about a month. I was very close to give up, but i didn't. My nurse suggested to me, not to nurse from the bad breast, try to pump instead. Well, I couldn't, because it started to bleed. I went to see my doctor and he prescribed me some antibiotics, because it started to get infected. So I was hand expressing, but milk supply started to drop. I only used my good breast for at least 2-3weeks. I used Lansinoh, and when I finished nursing expressed some milk on my breast and let it air dry. I didn't nurse from that one for a long time. Eventually, my sore nipple healed and my milk supply is back to normal again. Make sure when your lo latches on she/he have an open mouth and her/his bottom lip rolls back. If she/he tries to pull on your breast, unlatch the baby and start with a wide open mouth again.
    I kind of got lazy with my latch, probably that caused my sore nipple.
    Don't give up, but try to give your sore nipple a break. Breastfeeding should be a pleasant experience. I thought I was going to die, because of the pain. Anyway, if your nipple looks really bad, I would have a doctor have a look at it, just to be on the safe side. Good luck!

Hi there
    I'd strongly suggest you get someone to check your latch in person (see the link in my signature to find a LLL Leader near you). If your baby is latching properly, you can continue to nurse and the cracks will heal.

Many new mothers report pain with latch on that goes away shortly into the nursing session, and they report that this goes away after 2-3 weeks. However, since you have pain AND nipple trauma, get the latch checked, just to be sure

Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

As LLL LactoJen said, definitely get your latch checked if you have not already. However, it is possible to have a great latch and still have a lot of pain as well as some cracking and bleeding. I did and DS latched perfectly from the get-go. I have been told this issue is worse for those of us with fair skin --- not sure if that fits you, but if you are that could be part of the issue.

My doula and a nurse suggested some things that are counter to what other moms recommend, but I think it helped me a lot. They said to allow my breasts to air dry after each feeding, and even use a hair dryer (but not hot) on your nipples. I was told to wear no bra -- wear cotton t-shirts instead. (You may leak all over, but who cares at this point?) I was told not to use Lansinoh cream during this time -- it locks in the moisture and doesn't allow your nipples to dry adequately for healing so, although it may temporarily feel better, it actually makes the problem worse. Also, I was told I could take Tylenol to help with the pain; you may want to ask your LO's dr about this.

Hang in there. I was told the first two weeks are very painful even with a good latch. I found it was more like 3-4 for me, but it did get better. Those first few weeks I would cringe everytime DS wanted to nurse. I've since heard the expression "curl your toes" -- that is literally what I did through those early nursing sessions because of the pain. Now I love nursing him and am so glad I stuck with it.

Red face Re: Pain forever?

I experienced the same kind of pain with let down, some women just have a stronger let down than others. On the other hand I also had bad problems with cracking and bleeding, which can lead to thrush. A sharp pain at the beginning of BFing (mine shot down my arm) can also be a sign of a yeast issue. You might want to check for the signs of thrush. Which I won't list because I don't remember them all right off and don't want to give wrong info!! I'd get checked by your doctor or LC just to be safe, otherwise hang in there, it gets better, but you might always feel your letdown!

Here is a great article on healing cracked nipples:
    http://www.lalecheleague.com/FAQ/heal.html

They said to allow my breasts to air dry after each feeding, and even use a hair dryer (but not hot) on your nipples.
    LLL says: "At one time, it was recommended that a hair dryer or sunlamp be used on sore nipples. Research has shown that this promotes drying and further cracking."

I was told not to use Lansinoh cream during this time -- it locks in the moisture and doesn't allow your nipples to dry adequately for healing so, although it may temporarily feel better, it actually makes the problem worse
    LLL says: "Moist wound healing has been shown to be very effective for healing sore nipples. Keeping your nipples moist will allow any cracks to heal without scabbing or crusting."

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

what u can also so if u dont want to use the cream...when ur dont feeding express milk and rub on nipple and air dry..

Thanks for the advice! I've really been focusing on his latching on today and things have been a bit better. I think stress from anticipating the pain has played a role too. I've really been trying to relax and enjoy nursing today.