Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: crankasarus

Default Re: crankasarus

Thanks ladies, it's nice to know we're not alone, though I wish we all had a moment or two...
    I'm so embarrassed to write this but, my daughter discovered ELMO lives on TV & not just on the radio or in tickle me form...
    I let her watch Sesame Street while I make dinner & it does occupy her for 15-20 min. I don’t feel like it's the ideal situation, but at least she's not underfoot while I'm carrying boiling water!!
    Anyone else have luck or tricks to occupy your toddler for a min. or two??

my child is not as old as yours, but she does run around underfoot and want me when I have to make supper, especially it seems. Here are the things I do to help me get a minute- they may not work for you with a different age but maybe they will spark an idea? I don't know.

-I carry her on my back in the ergo baby carrier sometimes
    -I give her a toy she hasn't seen in a while (rotating toys helps keep her interested and therefore independently play more
    -I even let her into something that I normally would guide her away from as long as its not harmful- like playing with the bag of onions. LOL
    -I put her in the high chair and feed her early
    -I turn on the radio and we dance around while I do things
    -I have heard of others having their kids colour while making supper, or playdough or things like that, depends on the age and interest level but something they can do at the table

I also do find that my LO is more able to be independent in the morning. As hard as it has been for me to get into a routine of doing this, I make all or at least most of the prep work done for supper after breakfast. I also get tired at the end of the day, so it works well. I don't make the harder things anymore- I use my crockpot a lot and have simplified a lot of meals. This has really helped with my LO being cranky and needing me during supper prep time, when I am tired and I don't have a lot of patience to deal with it.

HTH.

At different ages and stages (and temperaments) my LOs used to like to:

pretend to cook version one -- adding onions, potatoes, soup cans, whatever, to a big pot on the floor in the kitchen, stir w/ big wooden spoon

pretend to cook version two -- small bowls of flour, baking soda, cornmeal, any "extra" ingredients they could mix on their own (sometimes I did this by adding various ingredients in the cups of a muffin tin, affectionately called "stuff in cups")

touchy/feely experiences -- bubble water in a bowl (towel underneath), bowl of beans or rice, playing w/water in clean sink

Some of this can get messy. And I had to wait until they were old enough not to eat all the stuff in cups or bowls. But they still like to do some of these things as preschool/kindegarteners.

Mary with her Leader hat off to answer a non-breastfeeding question

Talking Re: crankasarus

Sounds like you need to "feed the meter" a bit more to me.
    Think of a parking meter. Just like you have to tend to a parking meter every few hours, you have to do the same with a toddler. Take time to schedule in one on one time with your daughter. Even if it's 15 minutes here and there. When you are tired, just repeat the mantra "I can sleep when I'm dead". Doses of caffeine helps too. When you need to cook or shower, pop in the Elmo's World DVD!

[QUOTE=ktfellure;173972]Sounds like you need to "feed the meter" a bit more to me.
    Take time to schedule in one on one time with your daughter. Even if it's 15 minutes here and there.

I wish it where this simple! I spend most of my time with Jonah!
    She wakes at 6:30 & we read good morning books before breakfast.
    After bf we go to gymboree 2x a week, the other 3 I go to the gym & Jonah plays in the day care for 1 hr. (She loves it!)
    After our work out, we have lunch together. She usually takes a 2-3hr nap after lunch. When she wakes up, I'm all hers. We play games, go to the park, read, garden, basically what ever she wants from 2-5. At 5 I start dinner & she just will not allow it. The Elmo dvd worked for 2 days, now we're back to hysterics the min. i walk out of her play room.

I tried giving her a mini prep center. We bought her a kitchen set so she can "help" mommy cook. I've even offered a lolly pop. She only wants me to continue playing w/her.

This week she stopped nursing. It was her decision. I'm still heartbroken.
    My husband thinks she just needs to make sure I'm still there for her, with out nummies.

Just remember that is probably just a stage!!! Sometimes they can act out if there are other things going on in your life and they can get stressed out from it. I have found that I have to cook dinner during naptime or do something in the slow cooker before they wake up (I know that sounds crazy) and do the final touches right before dinner is ready. I don't get to cook the way I used to. or sometimes during their afternoon snack I can finish dinner.
    It will get better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you! Hopefully it will get better soon! I'm spending a small fortune on take out