Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: crankasarus

Default crankasarus

my daughter is 18m & self weaned down to 1 nursing before bedtime. lately though she is clammering to nurse all the time, which for the most part i allow; though my nipples are killing me!
    i figured if she's asking she must need it... but, she's become soooo clingy & desperate. i can't make dinner, get dressed or go to the bathroom with out her hysterically crying, "mmmmmmoooooommmmmmyyyyyy uuuuuuuuuuuupppppppp, mmmmmmmmooooooooooommmmmmmyyyyy..."

she used to play by herself (w/my supervision of course) but now she needs to be in contact with me constantly. i'm getting close my wits end. i've offered snacks, bought new toys, set up a mini kitchen so she can "help" but nothing has helped.

please please tell me this is a stage...

Default Re: crankasarus

We're not there yet, but I did find this link you might find helpful. Everything else has been a phase up to this point, so this should be too, right? http://www.kellymom.com/parenting/velcrochild.html

thank you so much for the link! it def. gave me bit more perspective on things.
    she is learning so much everyday, it must be so over whelming for her. i think i just needed a breather today. thanks again.
    e

My son is doing the same thing - CLINGY! Can't leave the room, can't take a shower. The only way to solve the problem for me is to wear him in a sling - it saves my back from carrying him around. I agree it is very very hard on the nerves but I'm convinced it's a stage. I'm glad I'm not the only one! Hang in there!

thanks!
    I'm so don't want to talk about this with anyone who hasn't bf. i know that's going to be their 1st reason for Jonah's cling-on behavior!

I can relate to that concern; having it blamed on breastfeeding. Man that gets old. That's probably a smart move.

It IS a stage, but there is also some personality to it... I have seen two general types of toddlers: runners and clingers. I have a clinger and I've found it MUCH easier than a runner. (I babysit runners and clingers.) For some reason I expected to have the kind of kid who might try to run into the street or something. I never thought I'd be setting limits on when the child was allowed to sit on my lap.. that just seemed mean. But that's one limit I ended up putting in place, along with other ones along the same lines. But mostly I tried to meet her mommy needs. It was definitely better than having a child I couldn't let go of in a parking lot or take to a nice restaurant. By three, you'll be glad you have the clingy type. My child is turning three and is showing new signs of independence, like when she's mad, instead of screaming "I want UP!!!" like she used to, she will stomp off and yell, "I just want to be by myself!!" And because she's always been so clingy, that statement just makes me smile, though I try hard not to let her see me doing it. It's just so dang cute.

My DD can't decide whether she is a runner or a clinger (at 19 mos. old). She still runs and plasy with her brother, and obviously I'm not there all the time, but when she wants mommy, she wants MOMMY, and nothing else will do.
    I do limit nursing somewhat-when she is just taking sips or asking to nurse out of boredom-but for the most part I simply nurse her when she asks and hold her when she wants to be held. Same with my DS (except the nursing). This seems to satisfy her, and I like it too!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

We are at a difficult stage right now as well (I sure hope it is "just a phase!) Olivia is in daycare about 6 hours per day, so we nurse mornings and afternoons (and nights). She is super cranky lately and I can't tell if she is teething, or if she just needs me more than usual for some other reason. I figure that since she is away from me most of the day I need to try to meet her needs as much as possible when we are together, so I end up holding her a lot! She also can't decide if she is a runner or a clinger though! At home she wants to be on me, and out she wants to run! Not a good combination, I guess! She can be intensely independent one moment and intensely needy the next. But I suppose that is the life of a toddler!

I'm so glad to have found this post. I was going to post the same question because I am at my wits end. It has been all about mommy mommy mommy. My daughter is 20 months and she ONLY wants me. The minute she comes through the door from daycare. The minute she wakes in the morning.

I miss her all day when I am at work but I have to admit I am so tired when I walk thrugh the door at night I just want 5 minutes to myself but it just isn't going to happen. I don't deny her and I love spending the time playing with her, but she is also going through a tantrum phase and "I'm going to throw myself on the floor and scream if I don't get what I want" phase so we spend much of our time together in this frustrating mode.

To make matters worse, my daughter had low tone in her trunk muscles and is only now starting to walk independently. So she is constantly frustrated with trying to walk and screams when she stands then falls. It is the terrible two's and learning to walk and being into everything stage all rolled into one! Aaaarghhh!

Thanks for letting me vent. I'm just happy that my daughter's behavor sounds pretty typical.

this is a great topic!

My daughter is a combined clinger and runner. I have had a lot of phases of terrible twos with her (she's now 2 and a half), basically since she was 1. Right now, it happens 2 or 3 times a day that she'll howl as loud as she can (it's pretty loud), kick, hit, scream, yell, "I WANT UPPY, I WANT CUDDLES, I WANT YOU MUMMY", and when I go near her or try to cuddle her, "NO NO NO GO AWAY GO AWAY". It's hard to know what to do. Anything can set her off, like if I fail to carry her downstairs, or (heaven forbid) try to go to the toilet, even if I take her in too. It's rough to know how to cope with it, beyond waiting for it to be over and letting her know I"m there for her when she's ready. There are definitely times when I feel the need to go out in the yard for a couple of minutes, to scream myself.