Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: DD not interested in solids, is there a prob?

Default DD not interested in solids, is there a prob?

Ok, so my DD is about 6 months old and she's not much of a solid eater. She eats probably (in total) around 1 jar a week... sometimes not at all. My family keeps saying that she should be eating solids by now. We try to give them to her except shes really not interested, she'll eat only small amounts at a time (1 oz at the most) before gagging and pushing the spoon away. She only loves to BF, very often too. I would ask her doc but her apt is not for another couple of weeks and usually this is faster. So my question is, should I be trying to feed her solids also even though shes not very interested?

Default Re: DD not interested in solids, is there a prob?

I don't think you should push solids hard at this point. Just give her until she doesn't want it anymore and that's it. She will become more interested in them by the times she is 8 months old and then you can give her more. She doesn't need any solids at this point anyway. And don't listen to your family, mine (especially ILs) are driving me crazy on this topic too, they just don't know what they are talking about and I don't understand why people have so much interest in what other people's babies eat anyway

At 6 mo old my DS was interested in solids (trying to grab at my food, etc) but not very interested in actually eating (swallowing). Since solids initially are for experimenting and less for nutrition, I've decided to take a very relaxed approach to solids and figure that my DS will eat when he's ready. I'm not as consistent as I should be, but do try to offer some sort of solid at least once a day (some days are super busy so this doesn't happen) and to keep offering different things. Much to my amusement, DS didn't seem to like several of the classic first baby foods (including banana) and I was relieved when he finally demonstrated a real interest in eating sweet potato. I'm also taking a mostly baby led approach to solids - the food is offered, DS will play with it and some will actually make it into his mouth and get swallowed. If he doesn't eat any that's ok also.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by desperate View Post
    I don't understand why people have so much interest in what other people's babies eat anyway
    lol Exactly what I was thinking. Thanks for your wonderful advice!

My youngest didn't want anything to do with solids until probably around 8 months or so. I couldn't figure out what was "wrong" either. It wasn't until I found this forum that I realized that it was NORMAL for babies not to be interested in solids until later.

Don't worry. Your baby will get interested in her own time!

Lisa