Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning? but for what?

Unhappy Weaning? but for what?

My son is 9 months old and for the last couple of days he is acting really weird. He latches on, sucks until the let-down and then pulls off and wouldn't latch on again. He continues to do this the whole day. He hasn't nursed even once yesterday and today. If he was taking the BM from something else, a bottle, a sippy or something I would think that he is weaning but he doesn't take any of those either. So I have been feeding him EBM mixed with some cereal (he doesn't take the EBM from a spoon unless there is cereal in it either) for the last two days, which is not good not only because of the unnecessary amount of cereal he is getting (although I put only a teaspoon of it for every 2 oz of BM) but also spoon-feeding 24 oz of milk a day takes all day. He got his first 1.5 teeth in the last 2 weeks so I thought it could be teething but then why is he sucking until the milk comes? We had been struggling with all kinds of distraction issues in the past and he has never liked nursing anyway, he nurses just enough to survive but things had been getting better since he was 7.5 months old so I cannot understand what is going on. Also, in the past he used to nurse well during the night which was my life-savior but now he does the same thing even between his sleep. What is going on??? And more importantly, what am I going to do?????

Default Re: Weaning? but for what?

Really feel bad for u..I wish I can say something that helps...Hugs for u..I hope some of the experianced moms on this board can help u..why dont u call ur Local leader? I am sure she would help..hang in there.

Proud Mother to Ziyad, born naturally, November 3 2006

Breastfed for 26 months and still co-sleeping
    "Do more than belong, participate. Do more than care, help.

Do more than believe, practice. Do more than be fair, be kind.

Do more than dream, work!."

Have you had his ears checked? My kids always eat bad when they have EIs. Ilana has one now and it's terrible.
    Jennifer, child passenger safety technician and mama to,
    AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), and Olivia (2/12/09)

Sorry you are going through this!
    My dd acted similarly a month or so ago - sucking just enought for a let-down and then pulling off, luckily for me though she takes a bottle so I didn't have to worry about that. I personally do not think it is weaning. For us it lasted several day and then it got better.

I think it could be teething, or something else that might cause pain when he is swallowing- cold or ear infection.

What you can probably do is let your LO chew on something cold to help with the pain if it's due to teething. Are you giving any Tylenol or anything like that? Also, you can try taking a bath with your LO. If things do not get better i na day or two I would definitely call the pedi.

Hope it gets better soon

Mama to Ana-Maria ~ May, 25th 2006

We have our 9-month appointment this Monday so they'll check the ears, I hope it is not an EI though

I`m sorry. Is this behavior any different than before? If so, I would also suspect teething or Ei. (not to scare you though)

I found a weird way that sometimes helps nursing my baby. (besides nursing him when he`s asleep) I put him on his back on the floor, support myself with one elbow. Hang the boob in his mouth and give him a little toy to play with. Terribly uncomfortable, but sometimes works. He can nurse/move around a bit/play and look around at the same time. I know, busy baby. This would probably not work with OALD though.
    Hope he gets back to nursing soon. (as well as DS, *sigh*)

Mommy to a busy toddler

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep in order to gain that which he cannot lose."
    Jim Elliot

Exclamation Re: Weaning? but for what?

OK, I'm freaking out. Yesterday, I managed to gave him 10oz milk with cereal with a spoon and then I nursed him before going to bed. He also woke up and nurse 5-6 times during the night. Normally his morning diaper is super heavy because I don't change him at night. Today his diaper was completely dry. Where did all the milk go? Even the 3 oz milk I gave him with cereal before he went to bed is not there. Something happening to him????

I would go get him checked over by your Doctor. A baby that is feeling unwell can often not want to feed.