Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: supply decreased after ill

Default supply decreased after ill

I got food poisoning on Tuesday night and was unable to keep anything down for almost 24hrs. I now am able to drink and eat a little bit without feeling quesy. My supply has dropped dramatically and I feel like my 4 month DD is sufffering in the process. She won't take a bottle for anything and tries and tries to get milk from me. I am taking fenugreek and trying to drink alot of liquids, what else can I do???
    BTW how do you get a nursing baby to drink from a bottle, I feel like we have tried every brand know to man but she still only wants the breast.

Default Re: supply decreased after ill

The fact that she is trying to nurse a bunch is a good sign b/c that signals your body to make more milk. In the mean time, if you are concerned about her getting enough, watch her diapers. If you need to supplement, you can use a little cup (like what you give medicine in), a syringe, medicine dropper, or spoon. You don't have to use a bottle.

I've had exactly the same problem a couple of weeks ago! Your supply will come back soon! I think you're already doing what's best: nursing, fenugreek and drinking a lot!
    I know I'm not much help, but I just wanted to tell you that I've been there and things went back to normal pretty quickly!

I had the stomach flu a week ago too. Just nurse, nurse and nurse some more and rest alot and things will go back to normal. My lo wouldnt take a bottle either, but we finally got her to take the Avent brand ones, she does ok with those, I dont know if you have tried that already, just thought I would throw that out there. Take care

I agree with the pps! Just nurse nurse nurse! Baby will make more milk! I got very ill with the Norwalk virus a couple months ago and my supply dropped but my LO got it back. You will be fine! Just drink a decent amount and nurse.

Red face Re: supply decreased after ill

see if urDR will prescribe Reglan 10mg and u take that three times a day! also add BLESSEDTHISSLE.....and continue with fenugreek....also try to drink plenty of water..let me know how thwt works for u

Thanks everyone for your support and advice! She took 2oz of ebm from me ( the Avent bottle - which never worked before ) last night. We are nursing more and I am taking the fenugreek, need to get the Blessed Thissle 2 today. Hoping all this will work soon! I am determined to have this work.

Red face Re: supply decreased after ill

ur welcome....it usually takes 4 days to get the results is what my LC told me....im glad ur doing better! she took from a bottle thats good i did the same..and pretty soon it will get easier...