Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Will She Stop When Full?

Default Will She Stop When Full?

I read in "Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" that when you start your LO on solids, she may only take one spoonful and then stop. Well, my 6 month old took spoon after spoon after spoon! I'm worried about it being too much on her stomach. Will she know when to stop or overeat and get a stomachache?

I'm curious because she usually doesn't refuse food on her own. I get nervous at how much she's eating and stop feeding her and go put her on the breast. One time she was enjoying her water sippy cup and later while playing she spit up some water.

So if she wants more, should I give her more, or will she eat too much? She's only been on solids for a few weeks and I bet if I let her she would eat as much as a whole baby food jar! (we do make most of our own baby food)

Thanks for the advice!

Default Re: Will She Stop When Full?

My 6 month old does the same thing. Sometimes I think she will eat all day. I have started to make sure I give it to her slowly so that she has time to feel that she is full. I think that if you are nursing her after the feeding, she must still be hungry. Depending on how long she is nursing, it could be that she is thirsty or still really hungry. They tell us when they are full on the breast, so I bet they have that instinct. My daughter is on the larger side (19.5 lbs at 6mos) but I am thankful that feeding her is not a struggle and she is growing steadily.

So....hope that helps a little bit
    Mommy to gorgeous Ella Jean born 10/6/2006

Oh my, I've been wondering the same thing!!!

One of my DDs (almost 6 mos) simply LOVES to eat. I have no idea how much I should be feeding her at this point. One has been eating cereal for about 1 week, the other only a day or so. I try feeding twice a day. I mix only about 1.5 Tbsp. cereal up, so they're not getting much...at least I don't think?

Any help/ideas???

We were given a list of how much of what our babies should eat at each month from the pediatrician's office. Since my son doesn't even drink the milk he is supposed to drink in a day, I don't look at it much but if there is anyone interested in the stuff send me a private message with the information of how old your LO is and I'll write it to you.

My LO is 6.5 months old and he LOVES his solids! I worry about the same thing, I'm afraid his little tummy is going to burst sometimes! He'll eat 1/4 c of oatmeal mixed with BM and 1.5 jars of stage one food!!! This is a half hour to an hour after nursing! Today he nursed ravenously too, I think he's going through a growth spurt! I couldn't get in to the ped until April 26th, so I'm eager to talk to the doc and make sure I'm not over feeding him! He's not really chunky though. He was only 12 lbs, 8 ounces at 5 months.