Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Benefits of breastfeeding???

Default Re: Benefits of breastfeeding???

Aside from all the health benefits, how about the fact that formula costs thousands of dollars per year? That alone was enough for me. And if the baby has any allergies, it's easier and cheaper to modify your diet than it is to buy super-expensive allergenic formula, only to find out the baby's still allergic and you have to invest $50.00 in ANOTHER type of formula, til you find one that the baby can eat.

Plus, have you ever smelled formula after it's been sitting out for a couple hours or so? I almost hurled once at my SIL's house helping her clean up when I put the day's bottles in the dishwasher. That smell is worse than sour breastmilk any day.

You can feed the baby any time, anywhere, without getting water, making up the bottle and finding a microwave to heat the formula.

Also, a formula-feeding friend of mine is astonished at the teeny tiny diaper bag I carry, compared to the overnight bag she has to haul around to accommodate all the bottles. And you don't have to go to all the trouble of washing/sterilizing bottles (until/unless you go back to work, that is).

At first, I didn't believe that breastfeeding was easier, but now I can't imagine preparing bottles every day, except for the milk I pump at work for DD, which gives me a nice excuse to take a break every couple of hours--and even on bad days I can feel like I've accomplished something that day!

LLLJacqui is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I also recommend getting the tear-off sheet on the benefits of bf-ing from your local LLL leader. It's really a great information sheet to have, and really easy to hand someone if they are giving you a hard time.

I'd also consider attending LLL meetings. It really sounds like you are going to need all the support you can get right now.

Jacqui

When I was glancing at local groups I didn't see any for my area How else would I go about getting that sheet?

If you'll PM me your email address I can email you a PDF file of LLL's "Importance of Breastfeeding" tear-off sheet

one benefit I think is great: What if you for what ever reason could not get safe drinking water or were stuck in a snow storm or other disaster?
    One time we had a tornado in our area. As I sat in the basement I didn't have to worry about how to comfort my baby, plus it calmed me down too.

Andrea - Your post reminded me of what happened in Louisiana -- all those hungry babies because they were formula-fed & they had no access to fresh water or even stores to buy premixed. All I could think was how much different it would've been for them if they were being breastfed. I can only imagine how those poor mother's felt!

I hope none of them perished because of it

Plus, have you ever smelled formula after it's been sitting out for a couple hours or so? I almost hurled once at my SIL's house helping her clean up when I put the day's bottles in the dishwasher. That smell is worse than sour breastmilk any day.
    This reminds me of one of my husband's favorite advantages of breastfeeding. He was 12 years old when his little brother was born. He remembers feeding him formula and changing formula-poop diapers! He will tell you that one of the advantages of breastfeeding is that our son doesn't stink!

Tiana

Andrea - Your post reminded me of what happened in Louisiana -- all those hungry babies because they were formula-fed & they had no access to fresh water or even stores to buy premixed. All I could think was how much different it would've been for them if they were being breastfed. I can only imagine how those poor mother's felt!

I hope none of them perished because of it
    This also reminds me of a story I read about a woman who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time in Germany during WW2. She and her young infant were herded with a group of people into a train car, and they were held there for weeks with only a dry sandwhich and a little water each day. If she had not been breastfeeding her baby, he would have died.

It's not something we like to think about, but in this age of terrorism, one might choose to think of this as a "risk of formula feeding" rather than merely an "advantage of breastfeeding".

Tiana

Quote Originally Posted by LLLTiana
    This reminds me of one of my husband's favorite advantages of breastfeeding. He was 12 years old when his little brother was born. He remembers feeding him formula and changing formula-poop diapers! He will tell you that one of the advantages of breastfeeding is that our son doesn't stink!

Tiana
    When I had to quite BF my son at 3 weeks due to misinformation and pressure that I WILL NOT succumb to this time, I cried for days because when I was BF him he smelled so sweet, like a little baby. When he started getting formula, he stunk--he smelled like Formula all the time. That is a very unpleasant smell and one you NEVER get used to, never mind how much worse the diapers alone smell!

breastfeed babies have less problems with their skin, and very little diapar rash.