Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pump Question(s)

Default Pump Question(s)

Hello,

I am currently pumping with an Evenflo, single, electric pump. I can usually only get an ounce or two out per session (this is a combined total, out of both breasts).

I am curious if I buy a better pump (Medela pump in style) will I actually get any more out of me? I know it would cut the time in half cause it is dual, but I am wondering, whatever I get out in one session, is that pretty much it, regardless of how good/bad the pump is? Or will I be able to "squeeze" more out with a better one.

Experiences appreciated . . . . . .

Thanks,
    Lisa

Default Re: Pump Question(s)

I've personally never used an Evenflo breast pump although I can tell you that many women have labeled them "Evil Flo's" LOL!

The quality of the pump definately makes a difference!

HI

I use the Avent manual pump to pump to mix with my ds infant cereal (just started solids, using an ounce a day to mix with cereal). I easily get 2 ounces from one side. I only do 2 ounces at a time so that the milk is only in the fridge for 2 days max. I was able to pump 7 ozs once when I tried to have a bottle for my husband to give him when I had to be gone for 2.5 hours. (He refused the bottle, nothing beats mom...haha) I think the main thing is the time of the day you pump. I pump when I am at my fullest which is in the afternoon for me. My ds breast feeds every 1 to 2 hours, even through the night and lately feeds almost constantly from 5am to 7am so morning pumps are definitely out for me. I believe everyone has a different time of day that they are at their fullest, not necessarily mornings like many say.

Good Luck.

Mom to Justin 11/95 and Logan 10/05

What are you pumping for? Do you need a bunch for daycare, or just some sometimes? I have a PIS and its awesome. I think anytime you can double pump, you are going to get more, becuase you let down on both sides at the same time. So its there anyway.
    I guess i would say a good electric pump is worth it, if you pump every day. That being said, i bought mine out of the newspaper. It was pre owned but never used, the lady got it from her insurance company when she had her baby, but she didnt end up breastfeeding so she sold it...it was still in the box, everything in plastic. Another thing to check is if your health insurance will pay for it. Mt friend got a PIS for $20!!!
    hth
    gabby

I am using the pump mostly because my daughter has been on three nursing strikes in only the three short months she's been with us and the only conclusion I have drawn is that she strikes when I don't pump (i guess it's cause my milk gets lower?)

I've already seen two lactation consultants and a Dr. and there really is no "conclusive" evidence for a low milk supply, but that is just what seems to be working for us. I pump after each nursing session, and I pump if she misses a feeding.

The problem is either that I still am low on milk, OR that the pump stinks. Even when I miss a session with her and it's been 4 hours or so, I can still only get 1-2oz. per pumping session (20 minutes or so). That is combined, both sides.

Will a better pump help me, or will it just save me time? I mean, will I actually get more milk out or is what's going to come out, going to come out, regardless of pump brand?

Thanks
    Lisa

I don't have personal experience with different kinds of pumps but my sister in law does and we were talking the other day (our babies are very similar in age) about pumps. Her ds is a preemie so she pumped, using hospital grade, while he was in the hospital. She got a ton of milk, but I did too, at first. That dwindled when she got him used to the breast and now she pumps when she is away at work. She has a pump now that she bought at walmart for 40 bucks or so that is a single electric pump. She also has one like I have (ameda py). She said she gets way more milk with the cheap electric pump than she does with the ameda. My aunt said the same thing about pumps--she tried several and found the one that worked for her was one of the cheaper ones. I think the ameda has worked great for me (although not sure now cuz I think I am having supply problems, but that's another thread for sure).

Anyway...I guess if you can afford to try another one or can pick one up used, it might be worth a try.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Many mothers have found that pumps like Evenflo and The First Years are ineffective. The reason being is that the cycles (the time that your nipple is drawn into the nipple tunnel of the breast shield) are long, which can lead to nipple soreness and low output. For more information, you might consider looking up consumer reviews on web sites like epinions.

You asked if the difference in pumps can change your output...the answer almost always is yes.

OK, thanks for the input. I think I am going to ask DH about getting a better one. Since this is my first baby and I know NO ONE else in my world who pumps, I wouldn't know the difference between what is "normal" output, and what is skant. I'm thinking the evenflo is producing little output.

Not to mention that this little machine is LOUD. It sounds like I'm running the sink disposal when I turn it on.

I feel pathetic sitting in that bathroom for 20 minutes pumping and coming out with my little bottle with my measley 1 ounce in it.

Thanks for the feedback. When I get the new one, I'll definitely post my experience here in case anyone else was wondering how output varies with pump brand(quality).

Good luck with your decision to find a better quality pump. I'll be interested to hear your results. Also by way of information, lactation consultants generally have pumps available for rental that may be an option for you. These pumps are typically hospital grade pumps, which are great quality. It can be a nice way to check out and make sure a certain brand of pump will work for you. Consumer pumps are different from hospital-grade ones, however they typically use the same breast shells and collection mechanisms, so you can try out one brand and see if the shells fit right and see if it's comfortable. It can also be a lower-cost option if you think you might only need to pump for a short bit while you work out the supply/demand situation with your child.

Best wishes -
    Karen Smith
    LLL Leader, IL

Quote Originally Posted by gabby
    What are you pumping for? Do you need a bunch for daycare, or just some sometimes? I have a PIS and its awesome. I think anytime you can double pump, you are going to get more, becuase you let down on both sides at the same time. So its there anyway.
    Well, it depends. I get more with my Avent Isis manual than I ever did with my dual electric hospital grade rental. I pumped an average of 4-5 ounces per breast with the dual electric, and I get twice that with the manual.