Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how often to pump?

Default how often to pump?

My son is almost 3 months old. I usually pump once in the morning and once in the afternoon and am able to get 8 oz each session, so 4 bottles. He had been drinking one bottle in the morning (4 oz) and one in the afternoon (4 oz). Now he is starting to drink 8 oz in the morning. I am pumping enough for him to keep up with him right now, but is he going to require more milk? I always try to keep at least even with him, if not ahead, and most weeks I end up with 5-4 4 oz bags of milk that are excess. I put those in the freezer, or use if we go out. I am only afraid of not being able to keep up with him if he starts needing more milk! I don't think that I will be able to pump more than I already am.

Default Re: how often to pump?

I think it's pretty likely that your supply will increase as his needs do as long as you are still nursing some of the time.

I can only get 1 to 2 oz. per pumping session and combine milk from multiple sessions to make 2 or 2.5 oz. bottles. I nurse my daughter at daycare and return at lunch to nurse again. In addition to that, she takes 4oz. to sometimes 10oz. per day.

As long as you're able to freeze extra, I would keep adding to your freezer stash to use if you can't keep up with him or if it takes a few days for your supply to catch up if he has a growth spurt. Make sure you nurse as much as you can on the weekends so that your body can make as much as he needs!