Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not Gaining, Not Sleeping!

Default Not Gaining, Not Sleeping!

Hi, all. I've received so much help here that even though I will be taking my 6 month old to see the doctor, I wanted to know what you all thought as well. We just took her for her third set of vaccinations and they weighed her. She had only gained 1 pound in two months! Now she is 15lbs. 12 oz.

I'm very worried because my milk supply isn't very good. She never "finishes" a feeding, just starts popping on and off and it's painful so I sit her up. If she complains I put her back on, otherwise I assume she's done but.. I never feel a letdown or engorged or anything!

She seems to have lots of wet diapers but I am feeding her 24/7 and she never sleeps longer than a 2 hour stretch (usually only a 40 min stretch). Is she not getting enough milk? I've tried pumping but can't get out more than 2 ounces from both breasts combined.

Default Re: Not Gaining, Not Sleeping!

My dd acts like that when she gets ear infections. She had no other symtoms of infection, no pulling her ears, no fever, etc. ONLY not eating and not sleeping; she even lost a little bit.

hth. Hope that everything gets straightened out and that lo comes back with a monstrous appetite to build your supply!

Breezie
    It's a worth while life--and a happy one, too!

I wouldn't worry about her only gaining 1 lb. I checked the growth chart on the kelly mom site and she's right in the middle

My LO acts just like yours, he's 4 months. He has never been a sleeper, always afraid he'll miss something. During the day he catnaps 5min sometimes 45min if I'm really lucky.

We also BF on demand and for him that's all the time. He does the same thing eats, and eats, and eats, and then just pops off and on a couple of times until I assume he's done.

My mom used to tell me he wasn't getting enough to eat (but she never BF) and we just had our 4 month check-up and he's doubled his birthweight - 7lbs to 14 lbs

This is my 4th and every BF experience has been different so I just go with the flow - literally

Thank you so much! That's very helpful and I'm not so worried now! We are going to have a 6 month checkup soon so I will find out about the ear infection.

I'm glad to know her weight is normal. She has doubled her birthweight so I guess that is good news. I was just surprised it was only 1 pound because she eats so much!

Thank you!