Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lack of poo

Default Lack of poo

My little girl is 7.5 months old and has been eating solids since she turned 6 mths old. She doesn't eat much, and still nurses on demand. When we were exclusively breastfeeding she would only poop a couple times a week, which I've read is normal. And since she never seemed uncomfortable I wasn't worried. I expected it to change with solid foods, but it really hasn't. Again, she doesn't seem to be that uncomfortable, but it concerns me a bit more now. She blew out on Sunday, which hasn't happened in a long time But it is Wed night and she hasn't (that I can remember) had more then a tiny bit since then. She does enjoy rice the most, which I know can cause constipation, but I don't know if that is rice in general, or rice cereal. I grind up our own brown, organic rice and cook that for her. I've been giving her plum sauce mixed in.

She is nursing fine, eating a bit of food 3 times a day, has a lot of wet diapers, sleeps great and is growing like a weed.

So my questions are:
    1. Should I be worried?
    2. Is there something I can give her to help things move along? (I haven't gone to the pediatrician with this question yet) Or something I should stop giving her?

Thanks!

Rosa's Mama
    Last edited by NessaRosa; April 11th, 2007 at 10:31 PM. Reason: spelling mistakes

Default Re: Lack of poo

Well, that depends! My ds only poops once or twice a week, even with solids. When she does go, if the poo looks too hard, then I would consider her to be constipated. If she goes and it seems wet enough, then she is probably fine. I noticed once I added rice cereal, ds's poo got hard and he had to strain a lot harder. I gave him baby prunes and baby pears and it helped clear him out. They say if they are constipated you should back off on the cereals, orange veggies, bananas and apples and give them green veggies and fruits that start with a P...pears, plums, prunes, peaches, etc.

Default Re: Lack of poo

Sounds like my dd. Thank you. I'll not worry, but keep watching!