Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Ouch!!

Default Ouch!!

Earlier today, Mady bit my nipple so hard I bled. It was terrible - I jumped and scared the heck out of her, making her cry, and I dripped blood all over her. The rest of the day I was so worried she was going to bite again, I couldn't relax enough to have a good letdown. How do I get over this? I don't want to constantly be worried about her biting me. Is there anything I can do to ease the pain? I put some lanolin on, but it still hurts sooo bad . TIA.

Post Re: Ouch!!

Well, I can sympathize with you, because I just went through a similar situation. To make a long story short, my nipple was open, cracked, when I pumped it was bleeding. It has been going on for a month and a half now. I was ready to give up nursing, but then I seeked some help around here. What I ended up doing was, used some Lansinoh cream, after every feeding expressed some milk and let it dry and I only hand expressed. I hardly used that breast, but eventually my milk supply came back again and I only have a tiny bit of crack. What I would do is watch and listen to your lo, you'll notice when she is done eating and just playing. Then unlatch her. And if she bites again, just say firmly to her that it hurts you, unlatch her, wait a little bit and put her back on. See if it works for you.
    Where do you live in Ontario?

Default Re: Ouch!!

I personally have never been bit, but I have heard from several mothers who were. A lot of the time when you scream OUCH and make a really big deal about it, it scares the baby and they never do it again. My advice to you would be to avoid putting soap on the nipples when you shower because that will only irritate it and make them dry out.

Keep your finger right there by your breast so that if you get the feeling lo is going to chomp you can be right there to break the latch. HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Andi View Post
    Where do you live in Ontario?
    I live in a small town outside Windsor... not too far from you at all!

Talking Re: Ouch!!

Hi!!!

I already posted some solutions that worked for me in "Nursing a bite", but I wanted to add something now that you mention that baby got scared because you screamed, etc...

Like Andi stated, let your LO know biting hurts. When mine tries to do it, I unlatch him and softly but firmly say: "Please don't do that, it hurts". He usually giggles, because he thinks it's a joke or something and in general when this happens he has "finished" feeding and is mostly suckling. Then, just in case he is still hungry, I let him start again. If he bites again I only say: "No! That's it, you're obviously not hungry" and stop nursing.

He bit badly when he was 3 m. (no teeth but nasty pinching gums) and stopped after two episodes. He did it again like a month ago (when he was 5 m) and hasn't done it again. Other times he pinches softly, more like holding, and I do the same before he bites. Trust your baby's understanding, it will very likely work.

Good luck!!

Thanks for the great advice ladies... no bites yet today