Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: comfort nursing

Default comfort nursing

what does it do for milk supply? wade will suck for hours, so i am wondering if i nurse him like that when does my milk have time to build-up and make a "full feeding" for him?

Default Re: comfort nursing

I was instructed by a LC not to become a human pacifier! It will destroy your nipples... as for the milk supply ?, I have no idea..I would assume no, not enough time.

Good luck!

I dont think it will hurt your supply or interfere with him getting a full feeding as long as he is latched on correctly....our LC told us it was fine to let our ds comfort nurse adn that if i got tired of it she suggested that i let him suck on my finger

austin is the same way...the pedi told me in the hospital not to let him....glad i didnt listen especially since i came to find out pedis are absolutely no experts when it comes to bfing!!!!! anyway, austin is 1 (whoa....first time i 'said' that ) and i too have wondered if it would increase supply.....dont know if it does or not but we have never had any issues with too much/too little etc....
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world~

My DS comfort nurses all the time...I nurse on one side per feeding and block feed....meaning I offer only one side for a certain amount of time, I do 3 hours (unless he gets unhappy with that side, then I know it is a growth spurt and he is hungry still). I don't know how old your lo is, but I am not sure that block feeding is the best thing to do in the first few weeks as you are building your supply, so please do your research before starting anything new..

Emilee
    Wife and Mommy
    DS born on Aug 4th 2006 @ 8 lbs 14 oz and 20 inches
    DD born at Home on May 10th 2008 @ 8 lbs 14 oz and 20 inches

My DS will comfort nurse until he is REALLY asleep, then I can unlatch him or he will unlatch himmself. I don't think he is really getting much milk when comfort nursing, more like just having it in his mouth. One time he woke up fussy and all I did was put my nipple on his lip, not even in his mouth, and he immediatly calmed down!!! Every now and then his sucking will cause another let down, and he will suddenly, start gulging it down in his sleep! I don't think it has effected my supply at all - but I am not letting him comfort nurse for hours like your LO likes to!

Hi, I'm Allison

Mama to Henry Carl 12/28/06

7lbs, 15 oz, 20.5 in
    Breastfed for 20 months!

Mama to Ryan Thomas 11/20/08
    8lbs, 7 oz, 21 in
    Breastfed for 30 months!
    Mama to angel 4/03, Mama to angel 12/05

Feb TBTTW 33.1/70

We comfort nurse too, with no problems, except when I'm bored and ready to get up and get moving!

Every once in a while I'll offer a pacifier. I haven't had any problems with my milk supply (I think most of the time she's just holding it in her mouth).

Nipple damage? I haven't had any problem at all with my nipples (too much info? )'' Our LC gave me a big hug and lots of encouragment for letting me comfort nurse. I think it's great for baby and a sweet sacrifice on your part. Good for you for being so giving!

Angela (AP), mommy to Charlotte Rose (12/22/06) and Ruby (7/30/09) http://lettiebuzz.blogspot.com/

thanks

My son is a comfort nurser too. I've never had any problems with it other than, like a pp said, sometimes getting bored and wanting to do some housework!

Oh and as far as the advice they give you in the hospital... you have to take everything with a grain of salt. If I had listened to everything "they" said when he was born, I would have no milk right now!