Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starting with Avacado?

Default Re: Starting with Avacado?

Is Daniel showing interest in solids yet? I think that's a big indicator. I've started letting Abby taste things this week because she's so excited about it- she's been trying to get my food into her mouth for weeks (and she's only 5 mos.!) This morning I was eating a nectarine (cut in half) and she grabbed it out of my hand and sucked all the juice out. She had this huge grin on her face, and so far no tummy troubles. I don't know if that helps, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that if he's showing interest, then it's probably fine to let him start tasting. But if he's not interested, he'll be fine waiting too.
    Rachel

Mama to my precious girls, Abigail and Naomi

"When we consider that women are treated as property, it is degrading to women that we should treat our children as property to be disposed of as we see fit." - Elizabeth Cady Stanton in a letter to Julia Ward Howe, October 16, 1873. Recorded in Howe's diary at Harvard University Library.

I thought I was going to start with avocado, but decided to go with the (standard) rice cereal, and here's why. Allergies (not necessarily food, but from an allergy stand-point, it doesn't really matter) are rampant in my family. Rice is the food least likely to cause an allergic reaction. I have heard avocado can be related to a latex allergy...I have no idea if this is really true, but that's one NASTY allergy to have. In turn, I went with rice.

We waited until after 6 mos. to start cereal, and then started other solids - but avocado was one of the first -- along with peas, banana and sweet potato. Our little guy was a precocious chewer, so we only pureed the first week. Then he went to mashed and was eating small bites within a month. Avocados are still one of his favorites.

Lyn, Daniel sounds like he's growing beautifully. What makes you feel like he's not gaining enough? Kesiah doubled her birthweight at 6 mos and it sounds like Dan's on his way to doing just that.

If you start with avocado, you certainly won't be alone. We had banana and avo for first foods here. Like pp's mentioned, though, it's not ideal for self-feeders/baby led solids because it's so slippery, but if you're going to mash it up with or without bm, it's a great choice for all of its healthy fats and nutrients. Rice cereal isn't necessary if you don't want to use it. Plus, it's not very caloric, so if you're trying to up Dan's calorie intake, that probably isn't going to do it.

Anyway, you have to read his cues; if he's ready to start eating foods, he'll show you. You know, the grabbing, the putting in the mouth, the chewing action. You're the mama, trust your gut instinct. If you think he's ready, try it out.

We started Avocado's yesterday and ds loved them. I did the mash with bm method. I went to give them to him today and they had browned a little.

Anyone know how long it stays good for in the fridge?
    And How to keep it from turning brown?

Thanks
    Breastfed for 20months

I know with guacamole, there are a few tricks - storing left-overs with the pits, or adding lots of lemon / lime juice. That wouldn't really be helpful with baby food, though. Since we use it as a finger food rather than mashed, I don't really know what to tell you. If you're just not wanting to have to use the whole thing at once, what I do is cut the avocado in half, and leave the second half in the fridge with the pit -- it is usually okay for a couple of days. Storing already-mixed baby food is such a tricky thing -- I have to admit that I probably erred on the side of throwing out food that was still good much of the time. It takes more time, but I tried to just prepare how much I thought he could eat at one meal.

I was adament about waiting until six months but after he grabbed food out of my hands for a couple of days and chewed everything he could, I figured, what the hay? I didn.t think he could have made it much more clear. We did avacado mashed with some breastmilk. He GOBBLED it up. LOVED it. We make sure we are eating at the table during this so it's a family thing and that's when he seemed to be the most excited about it, when we were eating. We started two days ago and plan on bananas this Thursday, fresh organic ones. Can't wait! It's bittersweet for me. Feeding him another way than breast is sad, he's growing. He just turned five months.

I just started my 5 1/2 mo on Avocado. I read in several places that it was a good first food because of it's nutitional value and because it was unlikely to cause constipation. My LO was pretty intrigued and we are successfully on day three! Although, I think he likes the spoon more than the food!