Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting with Avacado?

Default Starting with Avacado?

Daniel is 4 months old. At his 4 month visit the ped said I could try solids with him. I had intended on exclusively BFing until 6 months. However, a few things are making me reconsider.

Daniel has never really "enjoyed" nursing. He nurses just enough to not be hungry anymore. He refuses to comfort nurse and has somehow become a snacker. He is always active. He's already scooting himself on all-fours and is rolling front to back. He was 7 lbs 3 oz at birth, and dropped to 7 lbs at his lowest. At his 4 month visit he was 13 lbs. I worry about his weight gain, but I think he just burns all his fat with his active nature. I know he has no trouble with growth as he is off the charts at almost 27 inches.

My concern is that growth starts to slow around 4-6 months, and my DS cannot afford to get any skinnier. But I'm thinking, the reason for the growth decline at 4-6 months is due to the increase in activity. Daniel has always been active, so perhaps he will maintain this steady growth pattern?

I am considering giving him some avacado as his first foods around 5 months. Am I going to harm him in some way by doing that?

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Default Re: Starting with Avacado?

take a look at this from the LLL site: First foods for babies

Well, they suggest to wait till 6 mo. My daughter was 5 1/2 when I started introducing solids. I would start with cereals first, and go through the single grain ones, and then move on the mixed ones, and then you'll see if your lo has any allergic reaction and then if there is any you would know which one he is allergic to. Then you could give him avocado as his first veggie. It is very good for your baby, loaded with goodness and higher in fat.
    I think introducing solids is a long process. It takes time and you're kind of experimenting. My dd is 8 months old and we just started the fruits. Then we're on the meat next.
    You're lo might be just one of those babies who moves around so much and burns everything quickly. Are you somewhat in a quiet room when you're BF?
    Distraction might be another thing.
    Good luck whatever you decide on doing.

FWIW we didn't start with avocado because it was too slippery for my comfort - but when we did finally give it to DS. he had a bad reaction in that he was up all night long with tummy issues . I tried it 2 more times to "make sure" and felt horrible for making him a guinea pig as it was indeed an avo issue. so if you do start it, be watchful for tummy troubles.

GOod luck in your decision.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

My DD STILL does not like avocados! So, I wouldn't recommend them as a first food. Liek the PP, way too slippery and the taste is quiet strong. I would also vote for the cereal. Bland and easy to digest. Good luck and have fun.

Oh, and I also started at 4.5 months.

Avocado was one of the first foods we started my son on. He thought it was pretty good, till I introduced foods with more flavor, and he lost interest, but it's so good for them! Just make sure to mash it up pretty well - the first month that my son ate solids (and we hadn't started till 6 months), he would gag on any chunk!

Many babies don't enjoy the new texture of avocado. DS hated it for about a month, but loves it now. Avocado's and bananas are a staple in our house. I started DS at around 5-5.5 months, and if I could go back I would wait. They only stay little for so long, KWIM? I think society as a whole influences us to do things that our babies aren't quite ready for yet, even if we don't realize that we're being pressured. However, to answer your question, no you won't be harming him by starting at 5-5.5 months. Just keep in mind that the longer you wait, the less likely you will be to encounter allergy issues (not to say that they will be eliminated though).

While many mom's wont side with me on this, but mesh feeders are awesome for beginning eaters. They still teach chewing skills (they have to chomp on the mess to get the food out) and provide a safe environment for mom. I was actually really nervous about letting DS have food at first. We used them for a few months, but DS is pushing 8 months now and is a very efficient eater. He can even pick up O's. This is the best deal I've found of mesh feeders so far. I've been using the Sassy brand, which I also like because they lock. I don't like the Munchkin's as they are way too hard to clean.

I also really like these two products, which I wish I had invested in. Now that DS can pick stuff up, it would be kinda pointless for me to be buying them, KWIM?

Baby Cubes

Food Mill

Hope that helps!!
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

sorry if this is a little off subject. today at our pedi visit i told the dr. that we have our lo avocado as a first food and she was very suprised. she said that she has NEVER heard of giving a baby avocado. ???

Quote Originally Posted by dezzarae View Post
    today at our pedi visit i told the dr. that we have our lo avocado as a first food and she was very suprised. she said that she has NEVER heard of giving a baby avocado. ???
    Some doctors sure are dumb, even after all the schooling they go through!

At my LLL meeting, one of the moms talked about starting her lo off with avacado. She said she adds BM to it & mashes it up. Says it works very well for her DD.

Loving my Beautiful High Needs Baby Girl born 12/28/06