Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby falls asleep after a few sucks?

Unhappy Baby falls asleep after a few sucks?

Hi, my name is Reesa and I just had my son 2 weeks ago. I'm having a problem with nursing him that I don't remember having with my son who's now 9 yrs old.

When I nurse my son he falls asleep after a few sucks. I have to keep waking him up to nurse. If I keep him sitting up while nursing it seems to help but not all the time. He will root like crazy then fall asleep as soon as I put him to the breast. It's even worse at night from about 8:30pm on he wants to nurse but will keep falling asleep as soon as I put him to the breast (for hours this happens) and then when I take him off he is still rooting. I get desperate after about 2-3 hours of this and give him a bottle of expressed milk around 10:30 pm, and he stays awake to drink from the bottle.

I can get him to nurse better during the day when he's sitting up but I have to constantly do something to keep him going.

He is peeing and pooping alot, and is back up to 7 lbs 1 oz and his birth weight was 7 lbs 3 oz. He did lose 2 oz last week but gained back 6 oz four days later. But I feel like I'm nursing all the time (especially at night) and he doesn't seem satisfied and I can't keep him awake to nurse well.

Anyone else have this problem as well?

Default Re: Baby falls asleep after a few sucks?

The nurses told me the same thing too. Today he nursed really well for two feedings today lots of swallowing, I had him sitting up facing me. I hope he keeps nursing like that and we'll be okay.

I had a horrible time keeping my son awake for the first few weeks. We would strip him down to his diaper to keep him awake and it seemed to work, but sometimes I would just have to move him around a lot until he woke up and got back to work. And it would usually take him like 30-40 minutes to eat until he seemed satisfied, and he was eating every 1.5 hours. Exhausting.

But now he's eating every 2-3 hours and only takes about 8 minutes, so things do get better!! Hang in there!

Also, I would personally advise against the bottle in the evening at this point . You need your little guy to suck and suck as much as he can to stimulate your milk supply.

Good luck!

Sorry it took so long to reply, it seems as soon as I go on the computer he's hungry Thanks for the reply Amberlori, Atleast I know he's not the only baby that falls asleep like that. So how many weeks old was your son when he stopped falling asleep during feeding? We stopped giving him a bottle. I am afraid of smothering him to nurse him laying down in bed so the bottle gave me alittle peace of mind. I'm a heavy sleeper so I've been either sitting in the livingroom with him or sitting up in bed. Thank you so much, I worry about him, I never heard of a baby falling asleep like that and I couldn't find any info on the computer.

I'm glad I could help alleviate some of your concern. I think my son was probably somewhere around 4 or 5 weeks when I could finally feed him without him falling asleep (and without having to undress him!).

I don't nurse lying down either, partially because I'm afraid I'll roll on him and partially because neither of us can seem to get the hang of it.

Best of luck!

It's the same for us, I'm afraid to smother him and he will just sleep if I lay him down next to me in bed (And so do I (sleep)). How did you handle night time feedings? I tried getting up and going to the livingroom but he seems to wake up more this way, I think we got days and nights mixed up. Thanks for all your help!

my daughter is almost 11 wks now but for the first 4 she was a very sleepy eater, she still gets sleepy now and then but i usually let her nap and just pick up where we left off when she wakes up.
    stimulating helps a lot. i would do skin to skin feedings with my girl and if she was having a particularly sleepy fit even a wet washcloth to the face or body.
    does he tend to eat more at night then, since he has his days/nights confused? i've found that now that my daughter is a little older she seems to know when it's night time b/c it's hard to put her down during the day unless i lay there with her for half an hour but at night she eats less than she does during the day and also stays asleep better.
    hang in there, your son will come around! i would also recommend continuing to co-sleep.
    Last edited by heatherama; April 10th, 2006 at 07:08 AM.

Smile Re: Baby falls asleep after a few sucks?

Reesa, was your baby born early by any chance? It is quite common for near-term or preterm infants to be sleepy at the breast. One thing that might help is to use breast compression (see http://www.bflrc.com/newman/breastfeeding/compres2.htm) for a description of this technique. It is really quite simple and actually is just pressing against your breast with your opposing hand in the "C" or "U" position (depending on how baby is positioned). It is similar to what you may have seen kittens or puppies do to their mothers while they are nursing - except you do it to yourself. Many older babies learn to do this also, by themselves. The reason your baby enjoyed the nighttime bottle was that it was a continuous flow of milk whereas he may just not have the strength to maintain suckling now, so once the initial milk letdown has ended, he loses interest.

Keep a close watch on the output and that gives you a good idea of what the input is - diaperwise, I mean. At nearly 3 weeks of age, your baby should be having at least 2 or 3 stools per day (some babies poop everytime they eat!) and at least six very wet diapers each day.

You may also want to keep an eye on your baby's weight. We really want to see a baby gain about an ounce per day - so about 7 or more ounces a week is normal. How much does your baby weigh now? Is there somewhere that you could go to get your baby's weight checked today? If you are able to get a weight, make sure it is comparable to the first two weight checks you had - same scale type, having baby naked when weighed, etc.

Sara

Quote Originally Posted by reesa97
    How did you handle night time feedings? I tried getting up and going to the livingroom but he seems to wake up more this way, I think we got days and nights mixed up. Thanks for all your help!
    For the first few weeks, I had my son in a cradle next to the bed. I left a light on out in the hall so I didn't have to turn on a light in the bedroom, and when he'd start to fuss I'd just pick him up and feed him right there while sitting on my bed. Try to keep lights low, don't "play" with him and keep things quiet. If he doesn't mind a wet diaper, also try to keep diaper changes at night to a minimum (I only change my son if he leaks, or if he poops).

During the day feedings, feel free to play with your son, rock him, sing to him, and stimulate him. At night, if you keep things down to business, and keep things dark, he'll realize night time isn't a very fun time and hopefully he'll learn to sleep.

Best of luck!

He's been doing well with a sitting up football position and skin to skin works well as well. It seems at 6:30 pm like clockwork he wants to nurse continually until morning. Everytime I put him down at night he cries and roots like he's still hungry but, the last time I gave him a bottle, I knew he had just had 3 oz but he still rooted around and he was up almost that whole night, I would feed him and put him down and he wasn't having it, but I think he also had gas that night lots of farting.

The OB/GYN gave me two due dates 3/24/2006 and 4/1/2006 and he was born 3/19/2006 so he was a week to 2 weeks early. Thanks for the link on compression! We have many poopy pampers and lots of pee pee although I need to work on catching it in the diaper ...haha! His next doctor appointment is May 2nd so we will get a re-weigh then. He's definately has a good output we just have to work on the input! I have to say though it is getting better he eats much better during the day without much more extra help than just having him facing me in a football type hold. But after 6:30pm till 4am we are back to the same sleepy baby