Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Yogurt and other table foods

Default Yogurt and other table foods

DD is 7 months and I was wondering what kind of table food you gave your LOs at this age (if they were on solids)? Also, we bought her YoBaby yogurt but it says to ask your pediatrician when to start yogurt. I'm thinking I'm going to buy plain next time because of the sugar content in those. But is it too soon to start yogurt or is she old enough? She gets tastes of mashed potatoes, bananas, and anything else I know she can mush up. Other ideas?

Default Re: Yogurt and other table foods

We just started our 8 month old on some bread as well as some kiwi as finger foods... I'm not all that familiar with yogurt, but just play it by ear with the others - if they are soft and mushy and you've tried them before, definitely go for it in non-mush form. Peas are good too!

Generally, I think its recommended not to start yogurt and cheese until after 9 mos. I believe the reasoning is that they aren't as hard on the body as straight cow's milk, so they can be given before one year, but not too soon.

As far as table foods go, you can give all sorts of veggies, either mashed, or in little pieces if she's good with finger foods.

At about that age, I did:

Green beans, peas, carrots, sweet potato, mashed potatoes, applesauce(pasturized, no sugar added natural), banana, pears, peaches, blueberries(smashed at that age) crackers(though some people say no to wheat for awhile yet, we gave it), cheerios(depending on pincer grip and self feeding), regular oatmeal, homemade waffles with fruit, rice...all without salt added though, but with some other normal seasonings, and without added sugar.

The AAP recommends NO COW'S MILK before the first birthday. This should also include yogurt, cheese, butter, etc. because casein protein is present in all, as are the hormones, growth factors, etc. that mess with cells and iron absorption.

I personally recommend against ever consuming the milk of another species, especially cow's milk which has been proven to cause lots of damage to the human body. Lots of info on that here.
    Last edited by season32; April 11th, 2007 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by season32 View Post
    The AAP recommends NO COW'S MILK before the first birthday. This should also include yogurt, cheese, butter, etc. because casein protein is present in all, as are the hormones, growth factors, etc. that mess with cells and iron absorption.[/URL]
    Actually, that is not what the AAP recommends. Yogurt and cheese can be offered after 8/9 months. It is recommended waiting until after 12 months if there has been a previous milk allergy.

To the OP - You can certainly offer plain yogurt when you are ready and mix in your own fruit. Just make sure you are offering the full fat, no artificial sweetners one.

Stonyfield (Yobaby) has just reduced the amount of sugars in the yogurt down to about 12-13g. The same serving size in their plain yogurt will have about 6-7g. And you have to remember that a lot of the difference there is from the natural sugars of the fruits.

http://www.stonyfield.com/OurProducts/YoBaby.cfm

I also have read that yogurt is okay because the beneficial bacteria in it works against the reason they say no dairy before 12 months; that it is too hard to digest.

I was vegan for a long time and I decided it is not the best choice for our family. Any dairy given to DD will be organic though, so hormones and other chemicals will not be a concern.

I am not worried about naturally occurring sugar from fruit as much as I am additives. I still thought 16g might be too much for her size though. (I think that's what was in the stuff I bought.) She did have a very liquid-y dark stool today after eating some yesterday and they have been much more solid than that for several weeks. I think I'll take it a littler slower on her little tum.

Thank you for all the advice and suggestions! Mommie of 2, awesome list!!
    Last edited by JustSasha; April 11th, 2007 at 12:42 PM.

I am not worried about naturally occurring sugar from fruit as much as I am additives. I still thought 16g might be too much for her size though. (I think that's what was in the stuff I bought.) She did have a very liquid-y dark stool today after eating some yesterday and they have been much more solid than that for several weeks. I think I'll take it a littler slower on her little tum.

Thank you for all the advice and suggestions! Mommie of 2, awesome list!!
    Glad to be of help. Personally, regarding the whole yogurt thing, I wanted to add that its up to you....suggestions are just suggestions, not laws.

We've all heard the recommendations and why, but there's nothing out there that says YOUR child will actually have any problems from having yogurt now.

With my family, I waited on all cow's milk containing foods (except mashed potatoes ) until one year, but that was because my DH had a cow's milk allergy as a child that they think was related to formula and cow's milk too early on in his life....like alot of other kids born in the 70's. Thankfully he outgrew it, but he had years of not getting to eat things that everybody else did, and it was pretty tough on him, and we just wanted to avoid that if we could with our kids.

Me on the other hand, I had formula for the first 6 mos. and 2 % cow'w milk after that on orders of my doctor. I have no allergies or health problems due to it, and I think the parents actually gave me tastes of ice cream right after birth as the nurses TOLD my parents to do it(honestly). As I said, I'm very healthy, and perfectly fine.
    Last edited by Mommie of 2; April 11th, 2007 at 01:19 PM. Reason: ETA with our kids