Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Mama's got the flu

Default Mama's got the flu

Hi Mamas.

New here. I am solely breastfeeding my gorgeous daughter (2 months old yesterday). As I did my now 3 yr old son.

I have come down with a nasty flu-like cold thing. I feel like I should continue to bf my daughter, she does not seem sick. But I don't want to breathe my germiness all over her. Is it better or worse to comtinue bf-ing her? Should I pump and have my husband feed her? I have never used formula and would prefer not to.

She has had one bottle of expressed milk and was not a fan of it, she is a little finicky with her latch and evening time breastfeeding so I am hesitant to introduce a bottle again.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Going now to make more weak tea!

Thanks,

Olivia

Default Re: Mama's got the flu

I had the same concerns when I got a bad cold a few weeks ago. I decided to keep nursing because it was just a lot easier than having to pump. Not to mention the fact that ds still really hates a bottle from anyone but the sitter and is just getting the hang of the sippy cup. In the end, I think it worked out for the best. Although ds did end up with a little cold, his cold only lasted for about 2 days. I have to think that he was getting antibodies from my milk that helped him get over the cold a lot quicker than he would have otherwise.

You should definately continue to nurse your baby! When you do, you pass along your immunities to her so that if she does get sick, it will most likely be less severe than what you had So yes, NURSE NURSE NURSE! Plus, if she does get sick nursing will help to keep her hydrated (breastmilk is absorbed very quickly). You'll want to stay away from anything other than breastmilk Edited to add -- no need to pump and have husband feed with a bottle. EBM is good but not as good as milk directly from mama's breasts.

I hope you start to feel better soon.

I had the flu last weekend. The best thing I ever did was continue to breastfeed through the flu. From what I understand, I gave my baby the immunities of my flu and protected him from my illness. He was perfectly fine through it all. My other children on the other hand have caught my flu and are now sick at home. But MIchael who is attached to me more now than in the womb is fine.

Dee

Thanks Mamas!

fever's gone and dd seems to have escaped unscathed! Knocking wood!

Thanks again for all the feedback!