Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Desperate - please help!!

Default Desperate - please help!!

Hello,

I wrote about a week or so ago about my daughter who is now 3.5 weeks old. We have been struggling with oversupply and overactive let down. We are now also dealing with thrush. I have been seeing a LC and thought that things were improving, my LO had developed a bad latch due to the oversupply and we have been trying to correct it.

Now the past three days, my LO is so fussy I feel like I am going to lose my mind. She is crying all the time and her latch is worse - she is clamping down so bad that my nipples are white when she releases them. It also appears that my milk is out of control again, I am leaking like crazy! I feel like the fussiness must be related.

I have been offering one breast per feeding and the same one if she wants it again within 2 hours for the last week and a half. I am wondering if I should increase the amount of time to 3 or 4 hours as my supply seem to be out of control again.

I am almost ready to give up on breast feeding - I have to be honest. I am trying so hard to be committed but between the fussiness, leaking, the pain of thrush, the sore nipples and lack of sleep I feel like I am going to go crazy. I know that the first weeks are hard but I don't have much steam left and we are only 3.5 weeks in. I just feel like things are constantly getting worse instead of better

Any advice/help would be really appreciated!!

Default Re: Desperate - please help!!

I hate to say it, but I have no advice. I didn't have an oversupply, but I can try to encourage you. Good for you for all of your hard work. I really recomend going to a meeting (you can find a local one on this site) you can get help and talk to other mothers. I DO understand about hte lack of sleep, that just seems to amplify any problems I have. You can do this, and once all of your problems are worked out, you will love to BF so for now all I can do is . good luck!
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

You sound so frustrated.

Have you read this resource?
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/oversupply.html
    I highly recommend it. There is lots of evidence based information included in this article. Maybe you'll find a tip you haven't tried yet?

Your baby's increased fussiness could definitely be realted to an increase in production. Has anything changed? Is baby nursing more frequently? Are you pumping or hand expressing? Have you had an increase in nipple stimulation? Been eating a lot of oatmeal cookies?

If you're not seeing a decrease in production with a two hour block, you certainly could increase the block. Sometimes the protein in milk that tells the milk producing cells to slow down (feedback inhibiter protein) has to build up a little while before it sends the message. Please see the article above for more details.

Have you tried nursing in the side lying position? This can help to slow the flow of your milk, and not only that, baby can allow the excess to dribble out of her mouth. As an added bonus, you can doze while you nurse!

My other suggestion is to nap when baby naps. Instead of getting up and throwing in a load of laundry, lie down somewhere and take a nap. When family and friends ask to help, ask them to do the laundry, vacuum, and fix meals (or bring over take out). Let them hold baby while you shower or nap!

Before feeding time, try skin to skin contact with your baby. This often helps newborns become more organized at the breast. I would suggest using a position that will result in less forceful letdown. One position that might work is baby on top of you, and you reclined back (in a recliner, or up against a stack of pillows on your bed). This is called the Australian position (mother is "down under" get it? ) and it's often helpful because the milk has to flow against gravity. You can also try the scissors hold or the compression hold (as outlined in the article) to help slow the flow. Perhaps this, combined with an overall reduction in production over time, will help improve the issues with baby clamping to reduce the flow.

Okay - that is strange. I have been eating oatmeal cookies the last few days, my husband got some lovely ones from the health food store as a treat. Does that really increase your milk???

Some mothers do feel that oatmeal increases supply.

Just wanted to say - hang in there , I had very similar problems to you and I did the things suggested by the moderator which helped heaps. At 3 months I still have to hand express every now and then - like when my daughter started 10 hour night sleeps, but I am very glad I kept going - so if possible keep at it as it will likely get much easier.