Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 8.5 month old doesn't chew?

Default 8.5 month old doesn't chew?

We've been giving my 8.5 month old pureed vegetables and fruits for a little over 2 months. About a week ago, I gave her pureed turkey. I've also been giving her pieces of avocado and banana for her to feed herself. She won't chew any of it. She has 4 teeth already, if that's relevant. With the turkey, it had to be mixed with enough breastmilk that she could just swallow it, otherwise she'd gag. With the avocado and banana, she ends up swallowing the pieces whole, and we find them in her diaper the next day.

Shouldn't she be practicing chewing at her age? Is it a problem that she isn't? She also hasn't taken an interest in our food. She'd be content just sitting there watching us eat and not having any solids at all. Could this be why she isn't chewing? She likes some of the pureed veggies and the turkey; she doesn't like the fruits so far.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or ideas.

Jennifer

Default Re: 8.5 month old doesn't chew?

I would just wait a while she will get it when she is ready.
    will she pick up little peices of of her tray? Sometimes it realy takes them a while to get the hang of eating solid foods.

my 8.5 month old acts the same way! she eats all her pureed fruits and veggies, but when i try to give her a little chunk of banana she gags and spits it out! she'll pu pieces of food from her tray, but just looks at it (which is odd because everyother non-edible thing in the world goes right to her mouth). my attitude is she'll start chewing when she's ready to.

My daughter didn't show much interest in any foods until about 10 months. Then, she went right into actual foods. I think every baby is different. I wouldn't worry yet. But to be safe, you may want to talk to your doctor.