Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When and how do you introduce homemade meats and chk to

Default When and how do you introduce homemade meats and chk to

dd. She is currently 7mo and I have been making her her fruits and veggies. But I read that she should start giving her meats and chk for the iron which she doesnt get from me after 6mo. So how do I give her the food (homeade) or do you have any websites that will help? Thanks!

Default Re: When and how do you introduce homemade meats and chk to

I boil a lean steak until it is very tender and then puree it with its own juice in the food processor. (If the processor leaves some chunks I also put it through a strainer.) Then I put the pureed meat in an ice cube tray with a lid, freeze it. (Make sure you don't fill them up since it enlarges when frozen.) When I cook my son veggies I add a cube of the beef into it (so that it will be boiled again in case bacteria grows in it or something.)

I started giving our son meat a few weeks ago at 8 mos - we started with chicken. I baked a chicken and used the breast meat - then I used a babyfood grinder to grind it up fine & mixed it with applesauce. Now he eats it in all kinds of things.

Tonight he's getting beef roast. I'll do the same with that - he likes it best mixed with things because otherwise it's kind of dry for him.

Remember that sweet potatoes, whole grains (I grind organic barley, oatmeal and rice for his cereals instead of baby cereal) and leafy greens (which you probably aren't doing yet) are also high in iron. And that foods rich in Vitamin C will help the absorption of iron.

I have been making my DDs fruits and veggies, and I love it, but now that her pedi siad she could start meats, I dont know how to begin to make them?
    the fruits and veggies are easy to make, but the meat seems complicated and more time consuming... I am not a very good cook as it is, so I need some help... Any ideas for me?? Thanks!!
    Lori
    Wife to Bryan
    Zoe, born 10-08-2006, 6 lbs. 2 oz. 18.75 inches long!
    Rylan, born 07-13-2008, 7 lbs. 2oz. 20.25 long!
    Loving every minute of it!!