Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: introduce solids 4 months?not enough milk.

Default introduce solids 4 months?not enough milk.

Hi Everyone,
    I really wanted to wait and bf exclusively until the sixth month, but I'm having trouble keeping up with her. I'm struggling to pump for the next day and try to get up at night but I co- sleep and end up waking her up..not to mention I need to be up at 6 to go to work. I only have 10 ounces frozen (emergency milk). I started her on rice cereal and she loves it and I thought I could pump but she still nurses right after so it's not helping. What can I start her with now at 4 months...In case I run out of milk, I want to know she can have something else. I've tried everything to increase my milk suppy and I still get 3-4 every 2 hours I'm not with her or less and she's taking in 4-5 ounces every 2 hours. Should I start the vegies? Thanks

Default Re: introduce solids 4 months?not enough milk.

I have seen posts where others say their doctors said to start solids earlier, but my ped said to wait 6 months before solids. 4-5 oz every 2 hours seems like a lot of milk. Every baby is different but my DD is 5 months and eats 3.5-4 oz every 3 to 4 hours. Could your caregiver be overfeeding her when she just wants to be entertained, held etc? Others may not agree, but I do not think it is bad if you have to supplement with formula for a few months until you start on solids, but this is just my opinion.

I have read that the most recent findings show that babies should have NOTHING but breastmilk (or formula if you must) for the first 6 months of life. Their bodies are not ready to digest food earlier than that. Introducing food too early can lead to adulthood obesity, food allergies, and constipation and irregular weight gain as an infant. Call your local hospital and talk to the lactation nurse about your problems. There are easy ways to increase your milk supply. It would be well worth a few more months of difficulty in order to give your child a lifetime of good health. Obesity and food allerigies are pretty extreme consequences. I hate to say this, but you would be better going with formula than foods at this point. But really, talk to the lactation nurse at the hospital, there are things that can be done to help, so you dont have to resort to formula. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by florabel1 View Post
    she's taking in 4-5 ounces every 2 hours
    I agree that this seems like ALOT of milk! I've seen several places that baby needs 1 to 1.5 oz milk for every hour away from mom.

For example - my DS is in day care 8 hours so he should take 8 to 12 oz milk. Except for some rare occasions this formula has held true for us with DS taking 9 to 12 oz milk.

Some resources for bottle feeding a breastfed baby:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/T027400.asp

What bottle nipple are you using? Sometimes the nipple is to easy for the baby so they overeat. (My DS is 8 mo and we still use the Avent newborn nipples.) And sometimes caregivers offer a bottle every time baby is fussy rather than trying other methods to soothe.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

To make things clear solids or food does include rice cereal too, which means your little one should not be having rice cereal either. Their little tummies just aren't ready to digest the stuff yet. I hate formula, but I would pick formula over cereal.

Have you tried mother's milk tea or fenugreek?

Deb

(Currently going through the process to become an accredited LLL leader)

http://www.drjacknewman.com/

Check out this website for other recommendations for milk supply issues.

Thank you all so much for your prompt reply. My LO just let me know what she needs...after giving her cereal today she was gassy and seemed to be in pain, cried a lot and didn't even want the boob (which never happens since I'm her pacifier). I will do what I have to do to bf only. My ped had told me to start cereal at 3.5 months but I told him if she was fine with her weight that I would wait until the 6 months, he thought that I was being too cautious because she's my first child.
    I haven't tried the fenugreek, but I will. The trouble is finding the time to pump, but I'll work it out. Luckily my mom takes care of her and knows her really well. My ped said to offer her more milk and that maybe she would wait 3-4 hours but we tried this and she will only take the 4 or 4.5 at 8am, 10 am, 12 and 2, then I can come home to feed her. If she has less she screams and gets very upset. I'm using the 0-3 month nipples. I'll continue to try to increase my supply. Thank you again for your advice.

My pedi absolutely OK'd solids at 4 months. He's been on them since then, and doing great!

IMO the most important aspect of introducing foods is when baby is ready. At our 4 month appointment (our ped states they can start solids i.e. rice cereal, bananas between 4 and 6 months) our ped said LO was not ready. He couldn't hold his head up on his own and fortunately for us, just didn't seem that hungry after nursing. BUT ... 6 weeks later (which would have put him at 4 months adjusted age) he was starving!!! I was nursing non-stop AND pumping tons. I was working then and pumped once in the morning before work, 2x at work, and 2x when I got home. It STILL wasn't enough for him!!!

If your LO is ready (physically, not age-wise) I'd consider introducing solids. Maybe you can try mashing up some really really ripe bananas. DS loved those!

Good luck!

If increasing your milk supply doesn't work, don't beat yourself up for resorting to formula supplementation!! It sounds like you are doing a lot. Your baby won't suffer if you give breast milk plus formula. I had to do this with my 34 week twins and was very disappointed at first, but then I realized I'm still giving them all the milk my body can produce. I would do formula instead of doing so many solids this early.

Is there any way you can wait and ride this out for another week before deciding what to do? That's the advice I received lsat week. My lo is 19 weeks old and from weeks 16-18 1/2 she couldn't get enough food. I did everything. I pumped like mad so I could tank her up before bed and it still didn't work. She would wake up at 11, 2 and 5 despite having 5 full milk feeds during the day. I was exhausted trying to keep up. I decided to go to the dr with this because I wasn't sure she was ready for solids yet (her signs for solid foods wouldn't be exactly like other babies b/c she is visually impaired) and contemplated supplementing her with formula.

So, I went. First of all, I was astounded by her weight gain: 1 pound 2 ounces in 2 weeks!! And strangely enough, her eating frenzy has come to an end and I am back to feeding her 6 times a day. I enquired whether I should supplement with formula and the dr said she would rather I gave dd solids than do this because it would affect my supply. She said that dd may need solids right now and if so, supplementing with formula would reduce my supply at the wrong time for a temporary situation b/c she would eventually need solids in the near future. So, I've decided if she gets to that point again to go ahead with the solids rather than give her formula - the longer I can hold out the better obviously. That said, I don't think formula is a bad thing - but neither is introducing solids if the baby is famished and you haven't hit the magic number of 6 months yet.